Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘„๐Ÿ‘

BABES HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PICK MY AOTY NOW?!?!

Listen, I had high hopes after the brilliant British rapper Simbiatu Abisola Abiola Ajikawo, aka Little Simz, dropped one of the best rap albums of the 2010’s at the decade very end with GREY Area. That project was great enough for me to consider her one of best in the game right now, and the only thing I worried about with the announcement of her latest album was that she wasn’t going to be able to top it. But Jesus Christ, “Sometimes I Might Be Introvert” is a whole other beast that, if there was some good in this world, should have people considering Little Simz to be one of the GOAT’s.

Yep, you read that right. I think we’re looking at one of the best to have ever done it, and Little Simz delivered what I would consider to be this decade’s answer to “To Pimp a Butterfly”. I don’t know if this will be my favorite album of the year (we’ll see in December how she fares against Lingua Ignota and Bo Burnham), but regardless I think this “Sometimes I Might Be Introvert” will one day be considered a classic. That feeling comes immediately once you hear the record’s production, which I think is some of the most gorgeous production I’ve heard on a record in a while. Handled majorly by previous collaborator Inflo, the production, which is often performed by live session members, is full and layered, with funky bass lines, grooving drums, soulful keys, funky synths, angelic strings, cinematic brass, otherworldly choir, and so much more. On top of being great hip-hop and neo-soul, the sound of the record is larger than life, honestly reminding me of a score for a live Broadway musical. This is only reinforced by the interludes from the choir and narration/dialogue from Emma Corrin. I cannot state enough how if this was done by a lesser artist this would be *so corny*, but I think they’re actually really well integrated here and help carry the story and themes along as well as build this album‘a world. Truly the gorgeous sound of this album builds a great atmosphere that allows Little Simz to shine.

And shine Little Simz does. She has always been a tight rapper but she is elevated on “Sometimes I Might Be Introvert”. Still hungry as ever, Little Simz rides the line between impenetrable killer and vulnerable perfectly. She is able to pack so much emotion in her deceptively deadpan voice, being intimate, cold blooded, humorous, sad, confident, and everything in between. Her fantastic delivery is matched by her outstanding lyricism, which is built with excellent wordplay, a knack for compelling storytelling, and bars after bars after bars. She tells stories of the women who inspired her, her troubled relationship with her family, her love life, her near death experience by getting stabbed, the broken system that screws over the people and puts some of them in poverty, trying to navigate the environment you’re born in, the poor treatment of black people that continues today, her mental health, her feeling misunderstood, her reflecting on her success and the things she’s accomplished, her introversion, and many other things. She’s able to make every line compelling and not waste a single word, which I consider to be an incredibly hard feat even for the best rappers (seriously I can’t even name five rappers on one hand who I think haven’t said anything questionable. The production could only work for an artist that is one of the best of the best, and Little Simz proves that she is worthy of that title with emotionally resonant storytelling, fabulous worldplay, and just having an infectious personality and delivery.

Little Simz has proven to be an excellent MC over the years, but this album sees her ascending into the heights of the all time greats, effortlessly rapping her ass off over beats that are both simultaneously stunning and hard as fuck. Like I said, I don’t know where on my best list this will land (this year has been fantastic for great albums), but definitely expect this *very high* on it, and i guarantee you want to listen to this project and be on the hype train before this record is inevitably deemed one of the best of its time. Little Simz proves on “Sometimes I Might Be Introvert” that she is a loud and vibrant mind with a lot to say, and I am in absolute awe of every word that comes out of her.
Sep 5, 2021
I loved this record, my favorite of the year for sure...
@GloriusVision Queen Shit
Great review!
Sep 6, 2021
@Rollo_P thank you so much!
Sep 6, 2021
Great review as always :)
Sep 6, 2021
@clumsyduckling thank you for the words!!
Based
Good job on the review!
Sep 6, 2021
@AShinyGiratina @Brando thank you both! I really appreciate it!
love this review!
Thank you @frncscbrqz !
Sep 7, 2021
great review! this is probably gonna be my aoty lol
Sep 7, 2021
@emomu thank you! Yeah I expect that most people on this site will put this in their top ten at least
Adele - 30