COBRAH - COBRAH
May 16, 2021
I was only vaguely aware of who COBRAH was before this EP, so I really had no expectations coming into this project. But goddamn, COBRAH fucking delivered, as her self-titled EP is one of the best collections of danceable bangers of the year so far.

After doing some research on her to have a better understanding of who she is, I found out that COBRAH was originally interested in dancing and musical theatre before she was introduced to her local fetish scene in Sweden, where she would eventually play her own music in these clubs and parties. This really explains everything about COBRAH’s music, from her sound to her very filthy lyrics. While having an ear for sex positive lyrics fit for the BDSM scene though, COBRAH is able to incorporate them into well written bops that are catchy, full of quotable, and will have you singing along to dirty lyrical gems like “I like how it feels on my clit when the bassline hits”.

What’s not dirty, however, is the production, which is so cleanly and professionally mixed it’s hard to remember that COBRAH is still a newcomer to the scene. Handled by COBRAH and Gusten Dahlqvist, the production combines elements of deconstructed club, hyperpop, hip house, and electropop to create a dark, hard hitting environmet perfect to soundtrack your local kink party. Each track is filled with a low, throbbing bass paired with pulsing kicks and snare, bouncy percussion, and melodies that sound more like futuristic, glitchy synths than typical instrumentation. It’s like “Product” era SOPHIE’s production with more emphasis on club kid house tropes, a computer’s replication of FKA twigs’s vocal delivery, and Brooke Candy’s absolutely vulgar lyricism, and I love it.

I really can’t say much else besides that I love it. My only major complaint is that it leaves me wanting more, and I cannot wait for a full length debut LP from her. It takes influence from the greats but has a sound and take that sounds unique to her, and it’s just filled with banger after banger after banger. Simply put, COBRAH fucks.
May 17, 2021