Kanye West - Yeezus
Jul 29, 2021
NO NUANCE REVIEW

This should be my favorite Kanye album. I’m a slut for industrial hip-hop especially if there’s a political bent to some of the music, so this should be right up my alley. But if you have been keeping up with my Kanye retrospects up to this point, you know that after “MBDTF” I personally believe that he stopped making great albums. I guess I should start off by saying that I think the first four tracks are actually pretty solid and promising, and Black Skinhead and New Slaves are some of my favorite Kanye songs. After that point, however, I think that’s where all the great ideas start getting lost. The beats start getting progressively worse, messier, and frankly annoying. The song structures fall apart. There are plenty of verses that I think are straight up whack. And I’m not one of those people who thinks “Yeezus” is just a knockoff Death Grips, but it’s undeniable that Kanye isn’t doing anything that new on this record or putting much of unique spin on the genre, which is something I think you could definitely say about all five records coming before this. I still think you should listen to this for the record’s strong beginning and it’s shorter length, but this is really a mixed bag.
Comments