Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist - Alfredo
Alfredo - Freddie Gibbs and The Alchemist
~

(these next reviews are reviews that were in my notes app. i have no motivation to make any more)

Freddie Gibbs delivers yet another project with a respected producer. All these producer collabs seriously has me wondering if the Macklemore effect will happen. (The artist got very big off of a collab with the producer aka The Heist and This Unruly Mess but after distancing themselves, they fell off hard). The difference between dear Macklemore and Gibbs is that Gibbs never “blew up”, he doesn’t have a Can’t Hold Us or Thrift Shop.

My biggest problem with Gibbs is that he sounds like he is making the exact same song every single time he comes out with a project, I wouldn’t know if these were from Bandana, Piñata, or Alfredo if it wasn’t for the production. People complain that Dababy has the same flow every single song then bump this? I wish that this LP would sound a bit different. Freddie sounds literally the exact same on every song and I don’t see why this has an 80 user score. (Ironic that there is a song called [skinny] Suge here.

Lil Darkie is a prime example of how I want albums to be varied, one minute there was rap country then there was trap metal, then there was boom bap? Sign me up for more stuff like that! When this album peaks, it peaks for sure though. There are some enjoyable cuts where the bareback production is just enough for Freddie to blow his back out with a great rhyme. I just don’t understand why this serious, slightly menacing flow is placed over a beach elevator instrumental (Something to Rap About). What an odd choice that doesn’t fit well with the layered vocals.

Gangsta Rap was fucking dead ever since Kanye and Lil Wayne started the auto tune trend so I don’t get what he’s trying to prove most of the time. It’s not offensive, it just exists I guess. I do like how this album is only 10 songs, since I don’t think I could stand any more songs with these wavy, beach pop instrumentals matched with a rapper who could challenge DaBaby with the same flow. The biggest flaw isn’t even this odd instrumentals or weird flows, it’s just boring as hell. There are no features that even really made me go “Wow. That sounds wack” besides Tyler, The God. I wasn’t even a big fan of Danny Brown’s verse on High but at least it was something.

The instrumentals sound like they had some care into them, but his flow is so, so, so stale. His lyrics aren’t anything spectacular, just most of the stuff that was on his other albums. Sex, fame, buying drugs, doing drugs, selling drugs, “baby shit” and other stuff like that. There are just random sound effects that help distract from this very one note project. Disappointing, and once again I don’t see what’s so special about Freddie Gibbs.

Best songs - I can’t remember any
Pain 😢 (3)
Pain 😢 (4)
Pleasure 😀
Jan 10, 2021
Pasta is a gross slimy food
Z.Younk