Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
Jun 28, 2019 (updated Sep 24, 2019)
Rewriting this after the immense amount of drag this album has come to endure from me. I narrowed in after is initial release and to be frank, was incredibly impulsive and way too naive to wipe my review, but now may as well be the time.

If anything, this highlights my first complaint of the record. These songs are good, yes. They’re well produced, and cater to some unique style in Madlib’s arsenal, however they aren’t as CAPTIVATING as I would like them to be. This results in me barely returning, and therefore furthers the eventual decline in rating.

Freddie also loses a lot of his swagger and meticulous verse structure on some of these tracks. Then decides to dabble in some unorthodox performances, like on Gat Damn or Soul Right. The latter being much more tolerable albeit unexpected, given its Freddie attempting to sing to a degree and add some quirk to his expression.

The positives though, still remain quite evident. The high points of this album still derive from its flawless use of features. The only possible issue being that Killer Mike didn’t throw in a verse to tag along with Pusha’s cut throat performance. Then on Education & Giannis are also some amazing displays from Anderson .Paak and Black Thought.

The features contribute overall to what is an undeniably solid hip hop album, but serves more to the listener as a one off listening experience rather than a timeless record. So, my impulsive dumbass is still most certainly clinging to Pinãta in essence. Although, Madlib producing this on an iPad has me in awe, given how punchy and detailed some of these beats can be.
Aug 24, 2019
I keep staring at the feed and noticing how opposites we are with music, but it is still so cool
Aug 25, 2019
Its neat to see the contrast, part of why I love this site :D
Sep 24, 2019
Good review, but this reads more like a 100 then an 80. Do you have any complaints about the album?
Sep 24, 2019
Actually just rewrote it, been meaning to for awhile. Was getting incredibly misleading about my thoughts lmao.
Sep 24, 2019
Hey, don't worry about changing your opinion about an album. There are albums I've changed from a 75 to a 95, and vice-versa. You still enjoy that album, and that's really cool, even if it didn't age the way you wanted it to.
luna128