Migos' "Culture III" initially got my hopes up, it really did. Boasting some impressive production and silky flows, which worked a lot better than I expected, my enjoyment of the record did scale up exponentially as I listened. However, if this did exemplify anything come the end of the record, it was my disappointment. This album was a frustrating listen, because it genuinely provided many examples of the trio's talents as rappers. Some of the flows on this project moved very naturally, never forcing themselves into the tone that the instrumental sets. The way the sound is handled, additionally, can be pretty admirable at the album's heights, enhancing the cutting and punchy qualities of the trap beats. Early on, I was all for what Migos was going for. I felt that the album's sound had made significant improvements over the material on "Culture II", which made the experience quite an intriguing one. Unfortunately, the album, over its nineteen tracks, was unable to maintain this sound for very long, which made the album feel tedious after a while. Its length felt bloated and redundant, and the scope that each song includes never justifies the runtime. If anything, it just felt like the trio was trying to capitalise on the 'more tracks = more streams' mindset, which left me feeling iffy. I hate it when albums, especially ones with genuine potential (much like this one) disregard their tightness and cohesion for the sake of money. It's a shame, because that earlier immersion in the album that I had was substituted with boredom; I no longer cared all too much about the course the album took. "Culture III" was an album that started out quite hopeful, establishing a promising new direction for Migos, but, upon discovering the true intentions behind the record's unnecessary 80-minute runtime, it quickly turned to an insipid slog.

Best Tracks: Straighten, Birthday, Antisocial

Maroon 5
JORDI
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000
Butterfly 3000
Bo Burnham - Inside (The Songs)
Bo Burnham