Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Apr 2, 2021
Ever since I first heard it was dropping, I was expecting nothing but the best from Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Considering they made "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven", one of my favourite albums of all time, I was going in expecting the AOTY so far. And that's exactly what I got. "G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END" is the Canadian band's best effort since LYSF, producing four tracks that, compositionally, feel beautifully adjusted to the current musical landscape and, sonically, are transcendental and incredibly moving throughout. Right from the off, GY! BE tell its listener that they're in for an experience with the epic and cutting-edge "A Military Alphabet...(cba typing the whole title)". Despite their new approach, it's probably their best song in twenty years. It's moving and entrancing in its every beat; its ideas are rich and abundant with emotional and thematic power. Every single second hits hard; I knew I was in for something absolutely brilliant. The album's seamless fluidity is presented on the following tracks, which maintain the album's fresh, moving and powerful sound without struggle. The ideas on these tracks are just as brilliant; they're unique, fittingly existential and just as potent. Executed to a tee by the just about flawless instrumentation, I was hooked throughout. I couldn't get enough of the ideas on this album; they truly reminded me of everything I love most about Godspeed You! Black Emperor. "G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END" is a marvel, yet another sonic powerhouse by Godspeed You! Black Emperor that showcases them at their most emotional and profound since "Lift Your Skinny Fists...".

Best Tracks: A Military Alphabet (five eyes all blind) (4521.0kHz 6730.0kHz 4109.09kHz) / Job’s Lament / First of the Last Glaciers / where we break how we shine (ROCKETS FOR MARY), “GOVERNMENT CAME” (9980.0kHz 3617.1kHz 4521.0 kHz) / Cliffs Gaze / cliffs’ gaze at empty waters’ rise / ASHES TO SEA or NEARER TO THEE, OUR SIDE HAS TO WIN (for D.H.)

Worst Tracks: Fire at Static Valley