Poppy - EAT (NXT Soundtrack)
Jun 11, 2021
Since the release of the incredible "I Disagree" early on last year, Poppy's solo material hasn't really hit the notes that I would've liked it to. Whether it be the additional B-sides off that album or the forgettable Christmas project she dropped, her musical explorations never felt they were making the most of the groundworks "I Disagree" formed, which left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. However, with "EAT", her newest EP, all that changed. This is more or less exactly what I wanted from Poppy, who delivers five tracks of powerful, effective and awesome alt-metal tracks, which draw on a wide range of different influences. Adding splashes of nu-metal and even screamo at points, this project's sound is constantly dynamic and riveting, which made all of its fourteen minutes super exciting and enjoyable. Vocally, Poppy always feels as if she's pushing herself to the limit, which very nicely slips into the whole EP's sound. This record is unrelenting, never shying away from being right in your face, and, personally, I felt that worked very nicely. Whether it be the vociferous chorus of the titular track or the brutal and relentless "CUE", this project revels in its cacophony, giving it quite a consistent atmosphere that definitely holds its own throughout. Some tracks did impact me a little more than others, tracks like "Say Cheese" didn't impact or interest me as much as some of the aforementioned tracks, but the whole experience of the project remained smooth from front to back. "EAT" provides a look into a sound that promises a very exciting and enthralling turn in Poppy's sound, one that, if efficiently expanded upon, is definitely capable of producing some more brilliance in future.

Best Tracks: EAT, CUE, Breeders