Death Grips - The Money Store
Jul 31, 2022 (updated Aug 11, 2022)
My roommates and I decided to decorate the living room by printing a bunch of glossy album covers at Walmart and then hang them above our doorway. One of the covers we decided to hang was "The Money Store", and it wasn't until I made the print request that I realized I had just printed a kinky ass image with nudity at a corporate store. AND THE PRINTING WAS DELAYED so I had to spend 20 minutes at Walmart lowkey freaking out that I was about to get reprimanded by Walmart staff for requesting to print a freaky photo. Fortunately, I survived :).

Before I began this discography dive, I was told to begin with "The Money Store" as it's easily their most accessible and least experimental album. It remains rife with raucous elements and aggressive dystopian themes, but the sound is not as abrasive as their other releases, making this one of the only Death Grips albums I loved upon first listen.

In my opinion, "Get Got" is the group's strongest opener, which seems to primarily explore themes regarding thievery as the chorus "get get get get got got got got" may illustrate MC Ride stealing a bunch of stuff (also hence the lyrics: "Where's the safe, born with a ski mask, on my face"). The bubbling synths EXPLODE quickly, then remain during the runtime, showcasing the immediate action that emerges when one is caught stealing.

"Hackers", may be an outtake from their "Exmilitary" album, and it serves as Death Grips' strongest closing track. This song also represents thievery and dishonesty, with the catchy chorus "I'm in your area" likely symbolizing those "HORNY MILFS IN YOUR AREA1!!!1i11!!11" ads which are organized by scammers.

MC Ride seems to rap about rebelling against the exploitive government system with "System Blower", even referencing "The Watts Riots" which was a resistance act against the government in 1960's Los Angeles. This track carries one of Death Grips' most addicting beats as it feels like heavy marching.

If you’d like to see the rest of my Death Grips ranking, here is my list: https://www.albumoftheyear.org/user/bimapolis/list/77995/death-grips-ranked/

Comments