Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl
Sep 16, 2022 (updated Sep 16, 2022)
I'm speechless, down to this moment I'm still trying to process all I heard here but thank you so much for this. 'Hold The Girl' is definitely a roller coaster of an album and that's the most accurate definition I can think of.

"I don't wanna do this without you / I don't wanna do this if you're just a ghost in the night", she sings in "Phantom" and instantly we know what the albums is going to be about: when one's true-self got lost in the crowd of judging people and suddenly you realize you've never had the chance to be who you really are without fearing your authenticity and existence, also avoiding the backlash you'd suffer from your loved ones. Rina's second studio album is the reflection of our lives when the character we play overlaps who we really are in the inside, that hideous "you" that nobody knows, and it's also an inviting place to those whose lives are going under this radar of regretting your own identity to satisfy others' wishes. The way she tells her story throughout is beautifully done, it is a true lesson of life and through the trauma she's been through, then later the acceptance and the ascension, Rina show she's ready to fight and show the world the girl she has held so close to her heart until now as a way of remembrance and reassurance of who you were and who you are right now. It's truly satisfying and comforting to find such topics being stated lightly and proudly within the music scenario and she certainly has been one of the most powerful voices for the LGBTQ+ community over the last few years.

(+) "Hold The Girl", "Frankenstein", "Send My Love To John", "Phantom", "To Be Alive".

Comments