Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Oct 22, 2018 (updated Oct 23, 2018)
Am I allowed to give 2 100's in a year? Cause like... wow... this is one of the best albums of the decade

I listened to each album from Daughters, and found a lot of quality in their discography... but this brought absolutely everything. I have a feeling that if you just leap into this album, the incredible pacing and atmosphere will instantly grab onto you, and drag you into the abyss that is this beast of an album. Trust me when I say this thing is a journey. It is the first Daughters album that feel cohesive. It manages to be cutthroat brutal with perfect balance.

This album is double the length of their last LP, and 4x as short as their debut... and yet it feels shorter than both. This is truly an opus of dark psychedelia. This completely embraces the atmosphere in ways I wish that Idles did. This truly... is insane. The way it comes full circle at the end... this is insane

Best Tracks: ALL
Oct 23, 2018
Oh mr brad, please do a worst to best for this new record it deserves a spotlight on the channel
Oct 23, 2018
From the looks of it, he's gonna have a difficult time ranking the tracks
Oct 30, 2018
I love that you threw that bit about Idles in the end. I completely agree. I’ve been thinking the same thing. Idles went for a good, loud and abrasive sound, but they didn’t nail it like Daughters did.
Nov 1, 2018
LOL IT IS AS IF ME AND FANTANO SHARE BRAINWAVES
Nov 1, 2018
If Fantano can give two 100s, so can you
Nov 2, 2018
And just like that, the album goes to number 1. Plebs are changing their scores to 100. Luckily all that matters is that this masterpiece is getting the recognition it deserves
Nov 2, 2018
"Plebs are changing their scores to 100". If Fantano had given it a six, your rating would've dropped faster than a bag of bricks. We all see him as our dad in some regard, but your need for his validation is getting out of hand, Brad.
Nov 2, 2018
Let me protect Brad here.

He didn’t change his Iridescence rating after melon’s review. So the exact same scenario that you described has already happened. Exept Brad stuck with his score.

And his best of 2018 list doesn’t resemble Anthony’s that much. Not as much as you make it seem like.

I think he has a completely valid personal opinion about music wich was developed under the needledrop chanel’s influence. For that reason he respects Anthony.

I don’t see the problem with that.
Nov 2, 2018
Sure. I'm not saying he doesn't have any personal opinion at all. What I'm saying is that he just seems to fall back on Fantano far too often.

I guess I just don't see how, in three years time, he can possibly look back at some of these reviews and not cringe himself into oblivion.
Brad constantly looking for Fantano to give him the slightest bit of recognition is just a bit odd and immature to me. Form your own opinions and stand behind them, regardless of what a bald man on YouTube says.
Nov 2, 2018
I guess that what I'm trying to say is that it's idiotic if the validity of your opinion seems to largely depend on someone else's. There's nothing wrong with that in general, but I do think it's silly to be so subservient when you're trying to build up your own reputability as a critic.
Thank you Damnson.

Jaron, I see your point, but I disagree heavily. If I fall back on an opinion, it is usually because I get hyped up really quickly and don’t give an album enough time. When that happens, I may spit up a score and review to tell people who follow me to “go check this out, this is cool.”

Your idea is not super far fetched, but you’re so disrespectful and demeaning in your tone to what I’ve done as a critic. I have a similar taste to Fantano. Don’t over think it
Nov 2, 2018
Okay, man. I agree that I may have been a bit too harsh, but it's only because I love music and when someone who now obviously has a big voice in this community seemingly seeks validation in someone else's reviews, I feel it undermines their own. I just think it would do you some good to be your own man a bit more. You've carved out your own niche, so please don't just sit there and wait until Fantano uploads his review to go: "PLEBS ARE DOING THIS AND THAT!"
Nov 2, 2018
You can be on cloud nine because he reinforced your feelings towards the album. I get it, but we've all seen the review and I feel like it would've adorned you if you had just let things rest and let your rating and appreciation of the album speak for themselves. Silence is golden in these kind of situations.
Nov 2, 2018
@Jaronmeister Tbf Brad has a different audience from Fantano's and it's not his fault that Fantano is a really convincing dude. Often listeners and even critics with a loud voice in the community are either pressured into agreeing with Fantano's opinions, or genuinely get convinced by what the melon said. Opinions change, and that's all part of the course. Also, like it or not, Brad's not-so-serious review styles is part of his lore, and it's especially effective in engaging his viewers.
Nov 2, 2018
To Mr. Brad himself, ik we had a fallout earlier probably due to a misunderstanding, but just do what you feel like. Don't give in to other people's standards for a music critic. However, kinda hypocritical of you to call other people condescending when you literally do/did the same thing in your comments about other reviewers/listeners. I don't know if you were serious about the pleb thing, but maybe take your own advise for future references. Have a nice day, glad to know you didn't block me.
Nov 2, 2018
Yeah. Judging by the thumbnails and some of the videos, the content definitely isn't geared towards me, but I just think it's a bit of a shame that another relatively likeable reviewer comes through with a decent taste in music and they seemingly feel like they need to pass the "what-did-Fantano-say-phase" first. As I said before, just let your opinions speak for themselves. Definitely on this site, where I feel everyone is mature enough to make up their own mind to an extent.
Nov 2, 2018
I also agree about the pleb thing. That's defintely the thing that made me go off my rocker and made me wanna spill my gut.
Nov 2, 2018
I still hope the pleb thing was a blunt joke because it would be awful if one of the most potential rising reviewers rn hold a condescending view on the general music listeners. I do call people plebs sometimes but only if they're really good friends with me and we both know it's a joke... but never use the term unironically. Still, I don't wanna assume the worst about what Brad said. We can get pretty salty on this site, and who am I to judge if I just assume the worst out of people's words?
Nov 2, 2018
Exactly. To an extent, we all act like dicks on here sometimes. That's inevitable on a site that revolves around opinions on something that is inherently subjective, but if that was a serious statement from someone in his position, that's pretty laughable.
Nov 2, 2018
You mean backpedaling? I still stand behind everything I said, I just could've done it in a more mature way, I guess.
Nov 2, 2018
lol of course Brad is the one to call people "plebs" for rating this album a 100 when it got its biggest coverage, ergo more people were going to check this out and give it more time.

You're not smart because you gave an album the same score as another reviewer and you're not smarter because you came to this conclusion first. Get off your high horse.
Nov 2, 2018
He never said he was smart. If you're a big fan of someone, it's obviously very exciting when they find something you enjoy a lot very enjoyable as well. He was just pointing out the trend that whenever Fantano rates an album high, others especially on this website follow suit. That claim is almost undeniable at this point, so I'm not so sure what you're complaining about.
pleb

nounINFORMAL•DEROGATORY

an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes

ah yes, this terms totally doesn't frame Brad as superior to others, not at alllllll.
Nov 3, 2018
You guys wanna watch me whip?
Nov 3, 2018
@morningbell wow, thank you. I don’t have a lot to say beyond that. Very understandable
Nov 3, 2018
Also he is right about my “not so serious” style of reviewing. I apologize for being so cynical to a crowd that is maybe not as sarcastic as me. Just know, I’m not usually being super serious when I throw out words like “pleb”

Also Josh, bro... why are you here? If you’re too scared to answer DM’s then you should be joining the witch hunt
Nov 3, 2018
Thanks to those being rational, both defending me, and going against me. It atleast sparks a real conversation
Nov 4, 2018
Pleb is almost a meaningless insult at this point among the music critic community to the kin of other meaningless derogatory terms like "cuck" or "fag". These terms' literal meanings are offensive obviously. But at this point, everyone who uses these terms don't really use them for their original intended meaning.
Nov 4, 2018
No one is complaining about the denotation, though.
Nov 7, 2018
I remember getting your review in my sub feed and feeling so happy you gave it a perfect score! So you can imagine my surprise when Fantano did the same. I’m glad people are gravitating towards the album because of him, but yeah I’ve been singing this thing’s praises since it was leaked. A true masterpiece!