Mar 20, 2020
You people are truly smoking the hype bong this time around

I want a great Weeknd project as much as the rest of us, but this ain’t it. It has solid production, and tons of sweet pop highlights... but I swear this should have been so much more ambitious than it actually is. It is so fucking watered down. The lyrics are literally the same exact shit as every run of the mill Weeknd track, and I know absolutely nothing more about Abel from before I listened, to now.

Darkness my ass. This album is far from a “dark” album. I listened half asleep on aderall, which should have made this sound like a fucking demented dark dream, that just consumed the world around me, but instead it felt just like wallpaper. It is possible to make an incredible pop experience but this just... this is just decent
Bradley... this ain't it
Stop having different opinions
Mar 20, 2020
Brad, you can't review albums when you're half asleep. You have to give your full attention to something and not expect that something to just give you a good experience. Listening to music is a symbiotic experience, and if you're on fucking aderall you're not really listening. You're expecting yourself to be disappointed. I just lost a whole lot of respect for you, man.
Mar 20, 2020
If I said I was floating and was so intoxicated by the music under those exact conditions, your comment would be completely different. I gave it a full listen, just like I do with any other album.Only difference is that I chose to listen as an attempt to get into it more.
Mar 20, 2020

finally someone who says things as a son, was sick of seeing all those people inflating the note as if this was what it really is not
Mar 20, 2020
I disagree, but I respect your opinion.
Mar 20, 2020
@BradTasteMusic When you have expectations for the output of music that isn't within the control of the artist themselves, you're not judging the music. You're judging your own mental state. And yes, I would know. The first time I listened to both Currents and uknowhatimsayin¿ I was in a similar mental state to what you were in. But I waited until I was in a setting where I was mentally prepared and open to listening to an album. And if you keep making that excuse for every album you listen to, regardless of whether it's good or not, regardless of whether you "attempt to get into it more", it's not fair to the artists.
Mar 20, 2020
I don't necessarily agree with Brad's review mindset, but last time I checked, this site was about sharing music, not judging how people listen to albums. Am I missing something here?
Mar 20, 2020
I see it less as an issue of how you listen to an album but instead how you choose to consume something and then present a review of that material. You can listen to an album any way you want, but that doesn't mean someone's half asleep opinion should be a valid alternative opinion to the "hype train". I don't mean this comment to be combative, I just mean to say that I agree with the opinion that you should go into an album in the proper place if you're going to put your opinions out there, just as you should with anything.
Mar 21, 2020
i respectfully disagree, but not because im following on the hype train. i thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere of this album and the sound design was phenomenal. i also was not hyped for this album so that definitely helped, but i think its genuinely a phenomenal album, but i respect your opinion. i dont think its a “half-asleep” opinion at all and i dont think you wrote this review expecting people to think it was an alternative argument against the hype. i loved the album but i fully respect your opinion, idk why these other people cant.
Mar 21, 2020
damn I didn’t know there was a hype bong pass me some of that
Mar 21, 2020
why every time when people are enjoying things they’re riding the hype train?
Mar 21, 2020
Inglume, I don’t think it is about the way Brad consumed the music, I think it is about how Brad judged everybody on liking the album when he hasn’t even listened to the album ‘normally’ yet
Mar 21, 2020
"you should go into an album in the proper place if you're going to put your opinions out there" Definitely agree, that's how I feel music should be consumed/reviewed. And I do think people have no reason to judge for simply enjoying music. If Brad was a fellow music journalist, I'd call him out for it.

But I don't come on AOTY expecting well formulated, informative reviews. I come on here expecting a man tripping on adderall and that's exactly what I got. Only now are people getting upset over this because of the album in question. If his score was 20 points higher, no one would bat an eye.

The way I see it, I don't see a half-asleep opinion as any less credible than people who've rushed first impressions the moment this album dropped just to get a review out.
shut up brad you cant write brad without the letters B A D
Mar 21, 2020
Wow. Brad gets a lot of shit over small things
Mar 21, 2020
I think you make a fair point. Thanks for the added perspective on this! I tend to take this site more seriously than I honestly should and want everyone to be making “well formulated, informative reviews”, but I know that’s pretty dumb and sucks the fun out of things at times. Everybody keep doing what they’re doing, no one is hurt here. 😎
Mar 21, 2020
Literally everyone gets so pissed at you for nothing, nobody would care if anyone else gave this album a meh rating.
Mar 21, 2020
disagree but props to brad for being the anti-hype device
Mar 21, 2020
@Inglume I only commented on Brad's post because I do enjoy hearing his opinions, and it just gave me a lot of sadness that he didn't give a project the proper listen it deserved. Now if he relistened and everything was still the same, that's totally fine, I don't have any problem with anyone's opinions over THIS particular album. And yes, you're right, it's just as bad for people to write reviews of albums either before they've even listened or if they've rushed to put out a review as soon as the album drops, I think that's pretty ridiculous. You're absolutely right, but it's not because of the album. I am probably much more passionate about Tame Impala's The Slow Rush and while I disagreed vehemently with it when his video dropped, I respected it because I knew where he was mentally at the time of watching it, and was reacting accordingly. Brad is entitled to his opinions and it's not my place to tell him whether he's right or wrong in regards to anything relating to personal opinion
Mar 22, 2020
how dare you have an opinion i disagree with?!?!?!?!!!!
Mar 22, 2020
I have sex with big fat whales. Rubbing my ass on their wet skin; I know I'm small but please give me attention. You fat, fishy whale. I will kiss your lips until I become part of you. I will feed you krill and small tables. May God forgive us, slippery stable whaley whale.
What a mess
Mar 22, 2020
can you listen to this sober first lol
Mar 23, 2020
If my girl👧😍 and my beyblades💯🔥 are both drowning🌊😦 and I could only save one😄☝️you can catch me letting it rip😤 at my girls funeral😅👻💀 cause it's bey blade or catch a fade 🙏👊😠💯😭
YAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!! PAPÍ
Mar 23, 2020
Translation: I totally agree. Every motherfucker on the goddamn planet hypes up the Weeknd as some demented, twisted soul of an R&B singer, when in actuality he's shallow and one-dimensional and hella manipulative. Is it because he can sing well? That he sounds like Michael? It's beyond me.
Mar 23, 2020
In high school, I was dared to play "gay chicken", which is where two straight guys pretend to be gay, and the first one to chicken out loses. The other guy and I are both really stubborn, and neither one of us wanted to lose. We've been married 14 years and we run a bed and breakfast in Vermont with out adopted daughter. If that dude doesn't chicken out soon, I'm going to start to suspect that he's actually gay
Anything for likes huh
Mar 24, 2020
Double back when you got it madeThirty racks of weed, no fat in the collard greensOff top was me, no cap, I don't bottle things' grandmama rings on her fingersI'm fond of the thing, hollow, we gleamI'm ominous ofJames Harden-DWeak n***as guardin' will peakFollowers just like meI lost my phone and consequentlyAll the feelings I caught for my GFMy hands was on the wingsI took'em off, not a storyCareen against the barsMy canteen was full of the poison I needThe trip as long as steepMy innocence was lost in the EastAmidst the thick exhaust hit the horn, it beep, mention my sentence strongWe all that we needBut don't call me brother no moreI keep my sentencesshortStack Pendleton keep me warm in the winter cuff done hit the floorDoobie Brothers where the city morgueWho would truly love a visit from us?My soul and my heartAll in it, keep fishingGone, the macabre finishAnd miss my Pop dukes, might just hit meDepending how I play my cards
Mar 25, 2020
watch me whip 👊, now watch me nae nae ✋
Mar 25, 2020
'i just lost a whole lot of respect for you, man.' people take aoty was too seriously lmao. swear the site wasn't like this a few years ago.
Mar 26, 2020
They hated Jesus because he told the truth too.
Mar 28, 2020
jesus people were not happy lol
Mar 31, 2020
I’d be inclined to let this review slide if were not for the fact that you have to preface so many of your reviews with, “I decided to sit down and give this a proper listen.” It hurts your credibility, and your credibility is a validation given from your audience’s perspective not your own.
ah yes we smoke hype bong cos its not dark which it is and we like it more than you thanks Brad really shit review as always
Also, I actually have quite a few problems with this. First, you're talking about a singular listening experience, so... you only listened to the album once without giving it anytime to digest? Second , yes of course nobody would bat an eye if you were an altered state and enjoyed the music, because that is kind of the point of music- to enjoy it. Lastly, why are you basing this album off this notion that the album is dark? I don't personally find it dark and really enjoy it. Being dark is not a defining factor that you should use to validate your score on a record like this.