Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter
6d ago (updated 5d ago)
Whole Lotta Reverb

Edit (55 - > 75): Going in with the reference that it is Slowcore helps a lot. It feels very dragged out. there are some huge highlights in the second half. Not an album I am jumping for joy here, but I can see how my first impression was not really fully reflective of the whole experience.

6d
drake come thru reverbed and reverbed
6d
Looking forward to the edit which is twenty points higher lmao
6d
How is motomami higher than this? Jeez..
6d
look at me brad!!! this isn’t you!!! snap out of it!!!!
6d
This album ain’t it. I’m sorry. I went in open minded with no bias whatsoever, and left bored. It occasionally sounds fine, but man it’s just so muddy.
6d
Damn brad is right I could NOT get through the third track lmao it's soooo slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and muddy
6d
I’m with you Brad, this is soooooo mid lol
onion
6d
Damn ive never even heard this akbum but apparently is popular, guess i have to check it out now
zzz
6d
hey brad, mcr just dropped
as I say, Don't trust on Brad
6d
oooohhh the reverb and mixing oooohgg
relisten
anything lower than an 80 given to this album is a sign of you having no taste
5d
wow, does slowcore say something to you guys :/
5d
If you say it's muddy, then it's not a genre you will like because it's quite representative to dream pop/slowcore mix. Hip hop is not a genre I like. But do I have to shit on an album that I don't like the genre in first place ? Nope. It's clear based on the albums you rate that it's not something that you are confortable with.
5d
But I like dream pop and art pop. I’m just saying I didn’t enjoy this album. The reverb sounds shitty and the whole album is drowning in it
5d
Art pop is pretty different (example I saw highly rated in your profile : bjork) and dream pop I don't see any in your profile aside loveless - MBV (loveless is peak shoegaze, and it contains even more reverb. But it's the selling point of loveless and makes it fascinating) and 7 from beach house (which is a more modern and clean take. Other beach house albums are very solid if you liked it).
5d
Opinion is okay, like you can hate dozen of albums, i'm not your ears and mind. But If you choose to voice it in certain ways that rub the wrong way, don't cry if someone respond to it more negatively or even clap back. My point is that "reverb sounds shit" is a bit weak, specially considering that it's not very similar to usual takes. It's the same if I say "I found flow in this hip hop album shitty" when I don't listen hip hop albums. You see what I mean ? Probably in the past I have many small review or reaction I should not have considered with albums rating because it was just not my taste haha. A good analyze is an analyze with a lot of thought and being not afraid to think again and backtrack if it's useful.
5d
THANK YOU for admitting that you didn’t have a good vantage point on first listen and coming back to it.
@Eggablist wtf.
@Eggablist HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH YOU FUCKING CALLED IT LMAOOOO
5d
That's the spirit, but don't push yourself too much for a called masterpiece. If it's not your thing, you don't need to push the experience. I know you like to gave albums reviews/critics, but the best critics aren't necesarly the one who do everything but who understand specific areas and is able to voice it.
5d
I appreciate you looking out for me, but I kinda just want to listen to and review whatever I decide to listen to.
5d
i personally think its the best album of the year. It is a very haunting journey into her past and the demons she had to face. The reverb was stunning, just pure euphoric perfection to me
5d
I didn't say that you must do something, it's just an advice if you don't want some clapbacks but fair enough.
5d
I’m cool with clap backs. I wouldn’t have appreciated this project if people didn’t give their inputs.
5d
Very glad to hear that you’re liking it! What are the highlights for you right now?
nice
4d
I fully agree with the original sentiment, the reverb and song lengths just seem completely unnecessary on many of these tracks. Feel like aoty community rates any 7+ minute song 90 or above even if it could have used half its length left on the cutting room floor. That being said there are some mesmerizing tracks on this album but most of them come in the second half.
3d
I WAS RIGHT LMAOOOO
3d
i can TRULY see where you are coming from Brad, as the reverb maybe too much for some people. I personally loved it but. love the review man and the content on the channel