The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Oct 17, 2021
So, this was amazing. Mars Volta were one of the bands that I found out about during the time that I listened to a lot of prog rock. I listened to songs like “Cygnus…Vismund Cygnus”, which is now one of my favorite songs of all time, and “The Widow”, which is amazing. I also liked some of the other stuff that I heard from them, but I never listened to a full album by them until I listened to this. After listening to this, my thoughts on this is that this is amazing.

The production is good. It is mixed well and you can hear everything clearly. It can get big without getting compressed.

The instrumentals are amazing. Songs like “Cygnus…Vismund Cygnus” start off with a nice acoustic guitar, before getting more noisy, before going into an absolutely chaotic instrumentals, before slowing down for a bit, before building up and getting more chaotic, before ending on a experimental instrumental, while songs like “The Widow” starts off with a ballady instrumental, before adding more to it, before having an ominous instrumental near the end. Songs like “Cassandra Gemini: Faminepulse” starts off with a more rock instrumental, before slowing down for a bit, before getting more chaotic, before slowing down a bit at the end, while songs like “Cassandra Gemini” has a more chaotic hard rock instrumental, before slowing down a bit, before getting chaotic again, before slowing down a bit, before getting chaotic again, before slowing down again, before getting chaotic. The instrumentals are great.

The vocals by Cedric are great. Throughout this record, his vocals are quite strong when needed, and somber when needed, and the harmonies are great. The vocals are great.

The lyrics are great. “Cygnus…Vismund Cygnus” talks about the main guy, Vismund Cygnus, is in search of his mother, Frances, while “L'Via L'Viaquez” talks about L’Via, who seems to be Cygnus’s aunt, watching priests kill Frances and change her last name to Viaquez. The 32 minute song which is split into multiple parts, “Cassandra Gemini”, talks about Cassandra, who seems to be a split personality of Cygnus, taking over Cygnus and leads to him seems to convince himself to kill the people responsible for the death of Frances, though it isn’t sure if he actually kills the guys guilty or kills innocent people instead, and learns that the widow, who appears on “The Widow” was Frances, who seems to have overdosed on the song, which to seems to lead to him killing himself. This can get disturbing at times, but there is a lot of interesting moments on this album lyrically, and they are well written.

Overall, this album is amazing. The production is good, the instrumentals are amazing, the vocals are great, and the lyrics are great . This album is just amazing.

Ratings for each of the tracks:
1. Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus - Rating: 10/10