The Microphones - Microphones in 2020
Aug 7, 2020
*just quick thoughts on this copy and pasted from a DM with my boyfriend lol*
The guitar intro didn't need to be over 7 minutes long as there isn't really much to it, and with his recent rambly storytelling songwriting style and the main structure of the song being basically the same for the entire thing did make it a bit meandering at times. But he basically tells the whole story of his early music career and why he called himself Microphones, and why he brought the name back, among many other things, all of that was super interesting and often put in a incredibly poetic way, that makes up for my issues with it somewhat. Not to mention, while the structure of the track was similar throughout, there was a lot of interesting instrumental passages with the familiar distorted bass and drums, pretty pianos, that really gave whole thing plenty of body and a break from just guitar and rambly vocals, and the timing of these rushes of instrumentation at certain parts of his story were very well done. However those issues will likely keep me from replaying this over and over like I do a lot of his other work, especially the Glow Pt. 2 which is referenced constantly in this new album in really smart and interesting ways.

Fav track: Microphones in 2020
Least fav: Microphones in 2020 (if I had to pick one)

Comments