Gorillaz - Humanz
Apr 28, 2017
Aww man I really wanted this to be good. I like the sound that Gorillaz have and when it's executed well, I think it can make for some really fun music, but unfortunately, I thought this album was anything but well executed. This is easily the messiest, sloppiest and most clumsily put together album i've heard all year.

It barely has any sort of structure and it always feels too afraid to experiment and be creative. The biggest bursts of creativity are often too short or underdeveloped (e.g. Ascension, Let Me Out) and instead, the music here that is developed and fleshed out is some of the most obnoxious and grating Gorillaz material i've heard yet in their discography (eg. Momentz, Charger).

I just don't have much desire at all to return to this album as a whole, most of the album is just bland and unexciting anyway. Songs like Sex Murder Party, Carnival, Hallelujah Money, Busted and Blue & We Got the Power just aren't fun, exciting, interest piquing or in anyway eventful to me. I just find them boring, unambitious or poorly written.

Whilst I do find the general tone and the really digital sound of the album pretty appealing, and whilst there are a handful of tracks off this project that I do personally enjoy quite a bit such as Ascension, Strobelite, Submission, Let Me Out & Saturnz Barz (specifically the second half), it's just not enough to save this record in my opinion. I think it's an incohesive and poorly put together album and it definitely could have really used some grooming as I think there is potential in what they're doing here on Humanz, but in the end I just don't think they pulled it off very well at all unfortunately. (also the interludes were stupid as fuck and added to nothing, elevator going up? what?!)
Comments