FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
Jan 1, 2020 (updated Feb 15, 2020)
I had never heard an FKA Twigs project before this. My knowledge of her music was limited to her feature on A$AP Rocky’s last album, the song Holy Terrain, and her amazing Cellophane performance on Jimmy Fallon. Going into this I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect, but I was hoping I would love it. And I really do.

I didn’t get it after my first listen. It wasn’t bad, and some of the melodies stood out, but it was a lot to take in. But after listening numerous times, I finally get why it’s so widely praised.

I like that this album isn’t super long. It’s relatively short and embraces quality over quantity. The album is extremely personal and emotional, and it features great songwriting, production, and vocal performances throughout. Most of the songs are also incredibly memorable and unique with a surprising amount of replay value. I really do like the themes and ideas woven throughout the album, and I think FKA Twigs does an incredible job at adapting to each song and making each one feel like it’s own thing with its own identity, while also fitting into the bigger picture of the album. My only critique is that certain songs are significantly less interesting than others and sort of fade into the background. And even though I absolutely love “Holy Terrain”, the song feels out of place. Other than those minor issues, MAGDALENE is a great art-pop album, and one of the best albums of 2019.

Edit: this thing is amazing. Score went from 85-90

Fav Tracks: Thousand Eyes, Sad Day, Holy Terrain, Mary Magdalene, Fallen Alien, Cellophane

Least Fav Tracks: Daybed