Beyoncé - The Lion King: The Gift
Jul 19, 2019 (updated Jul 19, 2019)
I wasn't really interested in a compilation/soundtrack album to Disney's newest cash grab that is a remake of Lion King. But then I saw it's by Beyonce, and then I saw the features which included many promising names, such as Tierra Whack, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, Jay-Z, Pharrell, 070 Shake, and more. This had me intrigued, especially since I mostly enjoyed Kendrick's Black Panther album.

The Lion King: The Gift is exactly what you would expect from this kind of thing. Sonically, you can see how Beyonce called this a love letter to Africa. Thematically, it connects to The Lion King about as much as Kendrick's album did to Black Panther (Although this does have the spoken word pieces/interludes and sonically is more connected). The more rap focused tracks such as the track with Tierra Whack and the one with Gambino and Jay, generally come off as enjoyable, but feel a little like a missed opportunities. They sound great, the production is nice and they all do a good job, but the songs just end up feeling a little forgettable. But that's unfortunately true for most of the album. There are some highlights, and every song is listenable and very pleasant, but most of them end up being wallpaper. Overall, this is a fun album with some highlights, but unfortunately, many of the songs are forgettable, which hold this back from being anything more than decent.

Comments