Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth
Mar 7, 2021
This is something special. It’s times like these where I’m so grateful for a place like AOTY where I can stumble upon a project like this.

I had never heard of Genesis Owusu, but I saw the reviews this was getting and was immediately intrigued. When I heard the first track, I wasn’t blown away, but once The Other Black Dog started I knew I was in for something special. I stopped listening to the album and just put that song on repeat for like an hour. I didn’t think it would be possible to the rest of this album to be that good, and while this isn’t perfect, somehow Genesis manages to come through with one of the most promising debuts I’ve heard in a while.

The potential displayed on this album is insane. He routinely goes from genre to genre on here, which allows for this interesting blend of styles and sounds that makes this a very eclectic listen. The production is fantastic, and he brings a presence to these songs that elevates the production with it. The songwriting isn’t always as polished as it could be, but it’s still really impressive. At times there are moments and songs that don’t necessarily stand out like others, but this debut hit me in a way that not much has been able to do lately. Genesis Owusu is somebody you need to get familiar with, because I expect even better music in the future.

Fav Track: The Other Black Dog, Waitin’ on Ya, Don’t Need You, Drown, Good Chains, Smiling With No Teeth, I Don’t See Colour, Whip Cracker, Easy, A Song About Fishing, No Looking Back

Least Fav Tracks: none
Mar 7, 2021
you have convinced me to take a listen. fantastic review!
Mar 7, 2021
@mediocre_feet Thanks, hope you enjoy it!
Mar 7, 2021
Love this review!! I might take a listen to it too now!! :)
Thanks @Cry! Hope you like it
Mar 11, 2021
Great review! And I totally get you, if it weren't for AOTY I would probably never hear this album, and I'm really glad that this community made me get to know Smiling With No Teeth! Great debut!
BROCKHAMPTON - ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
BROCKHAMPTON
ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
Taylor Swift - Fearless (Taylor's Version)
Fearless (Taylor's Version)
Shy Away
Doja Cat - Kiss Me More
Doja Cat
Kiss Me More
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

March 2021 Playlist