Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Jun 4, 2021
With Jubilee, Japanese Breakfast has somehow managed to exceed my already high expectations and deliver a insanely infectious and concise album that is definitely one of the best of the year.

I had never heard of Japanese Breakfast before, but I heard “Be Sweet” as a single and it immediately became one of my favorite songs of the year. I really liked the next two singles as well (“Posing In Bondage” and “Savage Good Boy”), but they didn’t click with me as much as “Be Sweet” did. But overall the singles, especially “Be Sweet”, had me really excited for this album. I had high expectations, but I wasn’t expecting the album to be THIS good.

Jubilee is an album that features some absolutely fantastic production and songwriting. The vocal performances are also great, and the fusion of genres and styles on here gives the album a bright vibe and aesthetic that is great. There are some truly great pop songs on here, and a lot of sticky melodies and production as well. There are a few moments in the second half that didn’t capture me as much, but I can see these tracks growing on me a lot as time goes on. And while it isn’t perfect, Jubilee was a great listen and has me excited to check out her discography.
Love this review!! :)
Jun 4, 2021
thank you case for being based, case closed
@Cry Thanks!
@TomBejoy Based Case
Jun 6, 2021
The rest of her discography is pretty interesting as you can see their sound progressively extend. Psychopomp is the most immediat in term of emotion (this album follows the loss of her mother, her mariage, etc after 2 years) but is way less bold sonically. Soft sounds from another planet is the album of transition, it's sometimes a mixxed bag but it includes some of her best work.