Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR
May 21, 2021
SOUR has some obvious flaws, but Olivia Rodrigo’s debut ends up being really enjoyable and promising regardless. I’m impressed.

Olivia Rodrigo is certainly having a moment right now. And while I wasn’t the biggest Driver’s License fan, I definitely wasn’t one of its biggest haters either. I didn’t love that song, and I still don’t, but I do think it’s pretty enjoyable for what it is, and once you look past the cringe lyrics and teenage melodrama I think it’s actually a solid song. And it’s insane popularity made it nearly impossible to escape. So after that song, I wouldn’t say that I was necessarily anticipating new Olivia Rodrigo music, but I was definitely interested to see where she would go next. And I was pleasantly surprised, because I loved her next two singles “Deja Vu” and “Good 4 U”. I thought both were better produced and better written, and because of those two songs and a solid SNL performance I was excited for this album. And I really enjoyed it.

If you’re able to overlook some of the melodrama and cringey lyrics, there is a lot to like about this album. Olivia is a great singer, and her vocal performances throughout the album are pretty great. This album also proves to be pretty versatile, as she can go from a song like “brutal” to a stripped back ballad like “1 step forward. 3 steps back”. There are moments where her influences and contemporaries are heavily worn on her sleeve (Lorde, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne, Billie Eilish at times, and even Ariana Grande on the track “happier”), but Olivia is able to bring her own personality to these tracks and still make them enjoyable. And yes, of course this album is filled with teenage melodrama and some cringe lyrics, but there isn’t a song I dislike, and once you get past some of the cringe there is actually a lot of promise shown in this album and I’m excited to see her career develop.

Fav Tracks: traitor, drivers license, 1 step forward. 3 steps back, deja vu, good 4 u, enough for you, happier, favorite crime, hope ur ok

Least Fav Tracks: jealousy, jealousy
May 21, 2021
Love this review, although I didn't find many of the lyrics to be cringe! :)