Baby Keem - The Melodic Blue
Sep 10, 2021
The Melodic Blue is an incredibly flawed album, but I find Baby Keem and the music on here to be so entertaining, catchy, and personality-filled that it mostly makes up for it.

Baby Keem, Kendrick Lamar’s cousin, has been an artist I’ve been excited about for a while now. I really enjoyed his “DIE FOR MY BITCH” project, and I’ve liked a lot of his singles since. A few of them were pretty one dimensional however, and I felt that they showed some limitations artistically. But these doubts were mostly gone when I heard “Family Ties” with Kendrick. This song is fantastic and one of my favorite songs of the year so far, and features three great beats, an energetic performance from Keem, and a great verse from Kendrick. So coming into this album I was hoping that it would capitalize on the potential I saw, and for the most part I think it does.

This was one of the most fun and ridiculous listening experiences I’ve had in a while and I enjoyed every second of it. It’s very flawed, but there are just a lot of things I like about the album overall. The collaborators on here are impressive and all pretty good, from Kendrick, to Travis Scott, to Don Toliver, to even ROSALÍA’s short contribution. The production is also great, the songs are pretty catchy, and Baby Keem just brings so much presence and energy to this album. He just has so much personality here, and the album is so absurd and funny that it made me laugh multiple times. In many ways the ridiculous and absurd vibe that this album gives off reminds me a lot of Playboi Carti on WLR and I really like it. He really is leaning into the “What the fuck?” factor here, but I think it mostly goes over well and I think his self awareness helps with that. I also like the weird structures and beat switches that happen throughout the album, even if sometimes the multiple beat switches and Baby Keem being ridiculous might start to get old. A few songs also feel a little unnecessary and could have been cut, as I think the album is a little long. And while the album may not feel super cohesive and can feel all over the place, I actually think it’s somewhat intentional and I do think it works a lot of the time here. So while this album is not perfect by any means and is very flawed, I do just enjoy it so much and like so many things about it that it mostly makes up for the very obvious and prevalent flaws.

Fav Tracks: trademark usa, scapegoats, range brothers, issues, gorgeous, south africa, cocoa, family ties, scars, durag activity, vent, 16

Least Fav Tracks: pink panties
Track Ratings
15vent / 85
Sep 10, 2021
Great review! :)
Sep 13, 2021
perfect review, couldn’t have said it better myself, thought i will try to
Sep 13, 2021