Bo Burnham - Inside (The Songs)
Jun 10, 2021
JEFFREY BEZOS (YOU DID IT!)
JEFFREY BEZOS (CONGRATULATIONS!)

Inside (the full special) has been incredibly important to me recently, and That Funny Feeling is genuinely my favorite song of the year so far. I obviously love the rest of the album/special as well, but specifically that one song always hits me so hard. I think hearing the songs just by themselves is a little less of an experience than the actual special, but hearing this as an album is still fantastic.

Bo Burnham is probably one of my favorite artists of all time. His past comedy specials are fantastic and his movie Eighth Grade that he wrote and directed was great as well. I had fully accepted that we were likely never getting another special from him, which is why I was so excited when this was announced. And while it may not be as funny as his other specials, and is barely a comedy special in the first place, Inside has to be my favorite thing that he’s ever done. And I’m so glad he put the songs on streaming services.

With musical specials like this, I usually wouldn’t find much replay value with listening to the album versions. John Mulaney’s recent musical comedy special comes to mind. But Bo Burnham has somehow made a batch of songs so catchy and well-executed that I just find myself returning to them all the time. They’re funny, intelligent, introspective, and thought-provoking, and it’s unbelievable how well he pulls it off. And while the whole special perfectly deals with anxiety, being alone during quarantine, and the ridiculousness of the world, “That Funny Feeling” perfectly encapsulates all of these feelings into one song. The lyrics are fantastic and so is the songwriting, and it’s a song I have played over and over since I first heard the special. I feel like it’s one of the best descriptions of how my anxiety feels that I’ve ever heard, and it’s probably my favorite song of the year so far.

So yeah. This is great. And if you’re interested in listening to this but haven’t haven’t experienced the special, I’d highly recommend watching the full special first. It’s fantastic and the amount of work put into it is insane.
Jun 11, 2021