Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power
Sep 2, 2021
While I have never really been a Halsey fan, If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power has surprised me and is a really good change of pace that feels like the beginning of a new direction for Halsey and their artistry.

Coming into this I had only heard one full project from Halsey, which was the underwhelming “Manic”, but I had heard many of her popular songs over the years and just have never really been impressed with her music. But when they announced this album and I saw that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross produced it, and that this was apparently a concept album inspired by Halsey’s pregnancy, I was intrigued. I wasn’t expecting to be blown away or anything, but I was hopeful. And after hearing it, this exceeded my expectations.

If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power has some flaws, but it overall really impressed me. The production from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is great throughout and I really like the sound of the record. This is also the best batch of tracks I’ve heard from Halsey, with the best songwriting and vocal performances I’ve heard from her as well. I also really like the themes that this album deals with. Yeah, the album may not feel fully realized at times, and there are definitely some less interesting tracks in the tracklist, but I’m still impressed and am now looking forward to potential new music from Halsey in the future, which is not something I was expecting to say.
Comments