Tinashe - 333
Aug 19, 2021 (updated Aug 25, 2021)
Edit: I cant stop playing this. This is so good. Score moved up from 80 to 85.

On 333, Tinashe shows that she can sound great while doing a variety of different styles, and she provides some solid production, great vocals, and catchy hooks along the way.

I’ve really liked Tinashe’s music for a while now and thought she was was incredibly underrated, as she’s released many singles and projects that I’ve enjoyed over the years. But even though I have liked a lot of her music, from what I had heard I didn’t think that she had ever fully capitalized on her potential on a full length album before. So I was hoping that this would be the album where she would, and while there are still some flaws, this is a great album that really shows Tinashe’s talent.

This album didn’t really connect with me on first listen, and it’s taken me a little while to really appreciate it and love it, but wow this is great. On first listen I thought it was a little all over the place, and while that may be true to an extent, I do think that it’s pretty cohesive considering the amount of variety and different styles on this album. And the fact that she can make all of these different styles sound great and cohesive is incredibly impressive. Whether it’s the R&B and trap infused pop of “I Can See the Future”, “X”, and “Bouncin”, the insanely summery and catchy “Pasadena”, or the more classic pop sound on “Undo (Back To My Heart)”, Tinashe kills it regardless. I also really like the more experimental and art-pop inspired songs like “333”, which is a fantastic track and reminds me of FKA Twigs in the best way. I really love what she’s doing on this album, and there are so many great highlights that have a ton of replay value. But even while I do think that this is great, I still see some room for improvement. Some songs feel underdeveloped, and if the album was a few songs shorter it would have been even better. But even while the album is a little long and there are a few songs that feel unnecessary, there aren’t any tracks that aren’t at least enjoyable. So even with the minor flaws, I am just ridiculously impressed with this album and very excited to see what Tinashe does next.

Fav Tracks: I Can See the Future, X, Bouncin, Unconditional, 333, Undo (Back To My Heart), Let Me Down Slowly, Last Call, The Chase, Pasadena, Small Reminders, Bouncin Pt 2

Least Fav Tracks: Let Go