ROSALÍA - MOTOMAMI
Mar 18, 2022 (updated Jul 17, 2022)
This might be the most fun album listening experience I’ve ever had. Holy shit.

Recently, I’ve immersed myself in Rosalía’s discography. I was familiar with many of the songs on “EL MAL QUERER“, and I have loved all of her singles post-EMQ, but I had never heard either of her albums in full. And while I loved both of them, especially “EL MAL QUERER” which was fantastic, I still felt like she hadn’t hit her ceiling artistically and could make something even greater. And while I absolutely loved all of the singles for this album (even Chicken Teriyaki to a lesser degree), I was not necessarily expecting this to be that album. And while I think this album does have flaws that hold it back from being perfect, it comes ridiculously close and is one of my favorite albums I’ve heard in a long time.

“MOTOMAMI” is one of the most unique projects I’ve ever heard. ROSALÍA somehow manages to make an album that checks like every box imaginable. There are some more accessible and commercial sounding tracks, but there are also plenty of boundary pushing tracks as well. She is playing with so many styles and genres here, and the album ends up being incredibly versatile as a result. The album is also immensely strange and weird, and it ends up being really exciting and always keeps you on your toes as a result. The production and the great collaborations play a huge part in that. And don’t even get me started on Rosalía herself, who delivers with some great songwriting and vocal performances. Her performances range from beautiful singing to rapping that’s aggressive and full of attitude, and she just has a crazy presence all over this thing.

Now, this is usually where I would talk about the flaws I have with this album. And while I do have issues and think this album has some flaws, nearly every flaw here either just doesn’t matter to me like it usually would or is cancelled out by how much I love what is going on. For example, the flow of the tracklist shouldn’t work. I usually don’t like disjointed tracklists that jump from vibe to vibe, but for how strange and off-kilter this album is, it works for me. And while I don’t speak Spanish and that’s usually a barrier for me when it comes to enjoyment, that doesn’t affect me here. I’ve read the English translations and I know what they say, and they aren’t blowing me away or anything (and in some cases aren’t very good), but it just doesn’t matter for me. I feel the same way about this on the lyrical end as I would with a Playboi Carti album, as I don’t really understand his lyrics either. It’s more about the vibe and what she’s doing vocally. Lastly, while the lack of a cohesive style as a whole can make it hard to understand what she’s going for at times and would usually bother me, it just doesn’t.

So yeah, Rosalía really surpassed all of my expectations here. I seriously think this is one of my favorite albums of all time off just a few listens, and I think I could end up loving it even more. Am I overreacting? Maybe, I guess. But I genuinely think this album has the potential to be looked back on as a crucial and game-changing album, and I can’t wait to play this album to death.

Fav Tracks: SAOKO, CANDY, LA FAMA, BULERÍAS, CHICKEN TERIYAKI, HENTAI, BIZCOCHITO, G3 N15, MOTOMAMI, DIABLO, DELIRIO DE GRANDEZA, CUUUUuuuuuute, COMO UN G, LA COMBI VERSACE, SAKURA

Least Fav Tracks: none

13COMO UN G / 95
15LA COMBI VERSACE / 90
16SAKURA / 90
4mo
my thoughts exactly. great review! this album is something else fr
4mo
Thanks, your review was great too! @stolenpositions
Nice review!!