Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 2
5d ago (updated 5d ago)
While “Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 2” isn’t bad and has some solid aspects, its overall just really inoffensive and safe, and as a result it ends up being pretty underwhelming and disappointing.

Coming into this album, I was actually pretty intrigued. I thought Vol. 1 from 2017 had some really great highlights, and I was hoping that this would as well. However, I really wasn’t into the singles for this album outside of “New To You”, which was completely carried by Tinashe and the production. I was hoping that maybe the deep cuts would wow me, but unfortunately I’m just not impressed.

This album isn’t bad at all, but there’s really just not anything special about it. The album also doesn’t really have any memorable highlights or any songs that I would say are great, which causes it to be pretty forgettable. However, the album does have some decent qualities. From a production standpoint, the instrumentals don’t wow me but the songs are for sure well produced and sound nice. However, each song is just a little too similar instrumentally that it leaves these songs to be pretty indistinguishable for the most part. As for the features, there are some interesting feature choices and combinations, but nothing great every really results from these and many of the combinations don’t end up working all that well. Many of the features are also pretty disappointing, and the only standout performance on the entire album for me was Tinashe at the end of “New To You”. And yeah I have a Tinashe bias, but it really seemed like most of these features kinda phoned it in. So yeah, while this was still a decent album with some admirable qualities, this was ultimately just a disappointing release for me and I probably won’t return to much here.

6-6.5/10