Rico Nasty - Las Ruinas
Jul 23, 2022
While “Las Ruinas” still has many flaws and might not be the classic that I hope Rico Nasty is capable of, it’s still a very enjoyable mixtape that sees Rico Nasty tackle many styles and take many interesting risks, even if not all of them completely work and the result can be kind of a mess.

Rico Nasty is an artist that I think has so much potential, but she has never really capitalized on it fully in project form. I loved “Nightmare Vacation” more than most people, but even that album has flaws and could have been even better. When she’s at her best, I think she can be one of the most interesting artists in current music. I was hoping this new project would solidify that, but the singles had me a little worried. I liked them, but they didn’t blow me away. And with the full project here, I like it a lot but there are still issues.

“Las Ruinas” is a very good project, but it is kinda all over the place. I like that she took risks musically, and I like a lot of them, but many of them don’t end up working fully. This album is also a little too long and has too many songs I don’t love. Compared to Nightmare Vacation, that album is a more consistently solid project and I prefer it, even I appreciate the risks this project takes and how experimental it gets for her. I hope going forward she continues to do different things and experiment musically, but that the result is a little more refined.

Comments