Red Velvet - 'The ReVe Festival' Day 1
Jun 24, 2019
A return to form after a mediocre Japanese EP, 'The ReVe Festival' Day 1 gets back to the pop bliss that makes Red Velvet so much fun. Lead single "Zimzalabim" is a weird word and a weird song, a little disjointed but strangely addicting. Though not the best form of Red Velvet, it offers a glimpse of them shaking up the formula, which isn't a bad thing. "Sunny Side Up!" and "Milkshake" are more traditional Red Velvet songs, with big, catchy synth lines prevalent throughout both. Those two are album highlights, and definintely more so than "Bing Bing", a more acoustic song that ends up being too repetitive to be great. "Parade" has a nice upbeat pace with some goofy, almost childlike sound effects thrown around the song, perhaps to give the song a parade feel. The hook is super catchy and the overall song is another highlight. "LP" closes off the album on a fine note, with more of a trap influence underneath a throwback beat that reminds me of Halcali. It all makes another winner for Red Velvet, and for the sheer amount of music these kpop groups release, Red Velvet's record remains sterling. I would like to see the group do another full release of the red/velvet style in their songs at some point, but for the time being their kpop is killer.

Standouts: Sunny Side Up!, Milkshake, Parade
Jun 24, 2019
Wow great review. I wish I liked this EP :/
Jun 25, 2019
@Inglume I seem to be in the minority on this one, but when it comes to kpop I'm pretty easy to please