100 gecs - 1000 gecs and the Tree of Clues
Jul 10, 2020 (updated Aug 5, 2020)
(Edit: maybe i was a little harsh when I gave this a 2/100 at first)
Okay, I’m aware that this review might make me sound like a boomer. A jean-jacket hipster who only listens to “real music.” A 14-year-old who just discovered her dad’s Pink Floyd records and only listens to “real music.” But it must be said.

The copious amount of remixes (mostly from 100 gecs, but other artists have been guilty of this lately) strike me as insanely lazy, overproduced, useless, and forced. I liked the first “ringtone” remix but after that it just started spiraling. When I found out Tree of Clues was just going to be remixes I was extremely disappointed. I thought gecs’ debut album was really interesting, and was excited to hear what else they could do. Instead, over a year after this debut, they hand us a recycling bin. That’s being generous, considering that some of these remixes belong in the trash. The Injury Reserve remix of “745 sticky” sounds bad, especially for something with Injury Reserve attached to it. That GFOTY remix of “stupid horse” is a fierce contender for Worst Track of 2020. The Fall Out Boy remix of “hand crushed by a mallet” sounds like...a modern Fall Out Boy song. I was really excited for the Black Dresses remix of “745 sticky,” only to discover that the duo’s idea of a remix is “edit unnerving screams and moans over the original song.” The Dorian Electra remix of “gec 2 U” was...funny I guess?

So, I was really depending on “came to my show” and “toothless,” the only new songs on this record, to convince me not to give this thing a 0. Already, “came to my show - intro,” in all it’s absurdity, felt like a breath of fresh air. Both following songs are catchy and heartfelt without sounding too similar to anything off of their debut. It’s a good moment, but in order to get there, you need to slog through the glittery swamp of vomit that is fourteen 100 gecs remixes. I’ve waited patiently for Laura and Dylan to re-prove their excellence, and this definitely did not deliver.

Fave tracks: toothless, came to my show, gecgecgec [Lil West and Tony Velour], ringtone [Charli XCX, Rico Nasty, Kero Kero Bonito]
Comments