Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Jul 12, 2020
Merriweather Post Pavilion is Animal Collective’s most revered project and a staple of neo-psychedelia, with songwriting and production that match each other in stellar quality.
Unfortunately, its best aspects are stifled by redundancy and dragging-out, leaving much to be desired. Aside from a couple high (and I mean really high) points, Merriweather can be a slog to listen to.

Opening with the colossal and trippy “In The Flowers,” (One of my favorite AnCo songs) the band sets the bar extremely high for their 2009 release. This energy is gladly carried over to “My Girls,” Which only makes the plunge in energy on the third track “Also Frightened” all the more disappointing. A forgettable 3-song inlet begins here until “Bluish,” one of my favorites and perhaps one of the greatest modern love songs, washes you in reverb. The remainder of the album is a trudge through good but over-extended tracks, finishing with “Brother Sport,” a highly underwhelming closer to a record that began so powerfully; so cosmically.

Personally, it’s just hard for me to engage with this one. It’s strange because I really REALLY love the songs that I love here, but everything else slips through the cracks of my mind. I don’t find this album half as poignant as its predecessor, 2007’s Strawberry Jam.
One thing that this record (and my recent Tame Impala escapades) have helped me realize is my issue with psychedelic pop. It’s very easy for it to come off gimmicky and samey. When executed well (as I believe is done on my faves from this album), psychedelic pop is fantastic, transcendent artwork. When it’s not, it feels like something that upper-class teenagers would play through the aux while they hotbox a Kia Optima in a mall parking lot and say “haha wow this is so trippy!” Merriweather kind of has a mix of these scenarios.

I think I need to let this one grow on me. As I listened to it, I thought that maybe now isn’t the right time, and I’ll be able to connect more deeply with this album in the future. Until then, I’ll just continue stargazing to In The Flowers (highly recommended activity).

Fave tracks: In The Flowers, My Girls, Bluish
Jul 13, 2020
respect your opinion but :(
Jul 15, 2020
@Dombot if u think MWPP is AnCo's best album, keep that to yourself, it's embarrassing <3
:(((