Animal Collective - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
Aug 5, 2020
Animal Collective's debut album (originally released under Avey Tare and Panda Bear) is captivating, and as strangely celestial as its cover art portrays. With a bold combination of psychedelia, noise, folk, and experimental, there's no record that sounds quite like it, not even by the band themselves, and there likely never will be.

Spirit They're Gone definitely takes more than one listen to fall into place. Originally, I saw tracks like "Untitled" and "Everyone Whistling" as drivel, only to realize on my second listen that they're so vital to the atmosphere. The biting, metallic noises present all over this album but especially on the very first track balance out the softer, sublime instruments and the meek vocals. Its few weaknesses, however, includes these abstruse vocals, which too often disguise the group's impressive songwriting (This lyrical excellence is accessed most easily on "Chocolate Girl"). I also wasn't a fan of the production on "April And The Phantom," but in every other instance I found myself fully entranced by this album.

Fave Tracks: Spirit They've Vanished, Penny Dreadfuls, Chocolate Girl, La Rapet