Yeule - Serotonin II
Sep 1, 2022
Officially adding this to the 10/10 club

Reposting old review

Yeule is the stage name of Singaporean singer-songwriter- producer Nat Ćmiel, who first burst onto the scene way back in 2014 with her self titled debut EP. 5 years later, their debut album, Serotonin ii, was released. I first discovered Yeule in 2019 when youtube put the music video for her song “Pretty Bones” in my recommended tab. And it’s pretty much been history since.
This album is immense but also understated. It’s airy and spacey, it is very immersive with its atmosphere. The pad heavy production and walls of reverb creates a very dream like quality to this project that weaves together all 12 tracks in an incredibly cohesive and beautiful way. Tracks like “Poison Arrow” and “Pixel Affection” have driving beats under layers of airy synths, whilst Yeule’s soft vocals glide over them. Other tracks such as “Your Shadow” and “See You Space Cowboy” are ambient interludes with extra emphasis on creating atmosphere, which both tracks do impeccably. My two personal favorite tracks “Eva” and “Pretty Bones” are, in my opinion, the two best examples of yeule’s talent for merging dreamlike atmospheres and beat driven rhythms to create some of the best ambient glitch pop i’ve ever heard. This album is a hidden gem. It’s easily one of the best of 2019 but always seems to be left out of conversations about music from that year, which is unfortunate because this album should be one of the ones in the front. A beautiful debut album from Yeule and one of the best and most immersive debut full lengths i’ve ever listened to. Check out their new project “Glitch Princess” as well, it is on the same level as this album.

10/10