Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter
May 12, 2022 (updated Aug 26, 2022)
Hallelujah!

Ethel Cain is an artist who has the makings to be an artist that I love but for some reason she’s never really done it for me. But I think this album changes that.

“Preacher’s Daughter” is an incredibly well rounded, fully fleshed out project that not only lives up to expectations, but surpasses them in some respects. Ethel’s spent a lot of time establishing a distinct, old time-y dream like aesthetic, and this album is the perfect embodiment of that. It sounds exactly like what the album cover looks like.

The production on this thing is fantastic. The guitars and pianos all sound fantastic, the use of distortion throughout the tracks here (especially on “August Underground”) scratches a very deep itch in my brain, and the layers of reverb help give a dreamlike quality to the music. Ethel’s angelic, at points intimate and at points soaring vocals really compliment the atmosphere as well, tying everything together. The songwriting is sharp, and Ethel’s talents shine throughout this project.

My only notable complaint unfortunately is the length of the songs. The majority of the songs on this album pass the 6-7 minute mark, which can be slightly tedious at times (probably doesn’t help that my attention span is low as hell) The melodies are strong enough to justify the song lengths (for the most part) and that extra time does give Ethel more time to do her thing but at points this can cause the album to feel like it’s dragging on a bit. This complaint falls more on me than it does on the album though.

Special mention to the closer track “Strangers”, which is easily one of the best songs of the year and the perfect way to round out this project. Honorable mentions to “Thoroughfare” (which funnily enough is the longest track on this album), “Gibson Girl” and “Ptolemaea” (especially the second half)

Overall, really great release. Ethel definitely won me over with this album, i’m excited to see how this project will age with further listens

edit: this grew on me even more, bumping score to a 9