Rina Sawayama - This Hell
May 18, 2022
Rina Sawayama debuted in 2013, and released her first fantastic project in 2017 with “RINA”, an incredible pop EP. She later kicked off the decade with one of the best pop projects in years… But I can’t help but feel like she’s been in a bit of a funk since. Her recent singles (most notably “Lucid” and “Follow me”) have just been so underwhelming, and this single unfortunately continues that trend. I hope it grows on me but my anticipation for her second album is slowly dwindling. Hoping the album proves me wrong though.
5/10
4mo
She debuted in 2013-ish with “Sleeping in Waking” and then released singles for the next 4 years until she released “RINA”.

As for these recent singles, I don’t think you can judge her musical trajectory from remixes and collabs like “Follow Me”, but I do agree this isn’t as good as most of her singles, we’ll just have to see how the album turns out!
4mo
sorry, when I said debut I meant project debut (should’ve specified that). Regarding the singles, that is a very valid point regarding the remixes and collabs, although Rina is still labeled as a lead artist on follow me so i included it. Let’s hope the album proves me wrong!
4mo
Follow Me was originally meant for Pabllo + Little Mix iirc, which explains why it’s so much different to Rina’s usual direction. I hope the next singles are different in style tho!