Phil Spector - Back to Mono (1958-1969)
Nov 8, 2020
ROLLING STONE #489

I don't think compilations should be included in Greatest Album lists, but this is one special collection of songs from the iconic Phil Spector. I mean the so called "Wall of Sound" he created with his music would hold an enormous value of influence for music in general. The layering of so many instruments that included everything from strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion, pianos, harps, guitars, was truly unprecedented, and it brought a key aspect to the world of pop music. He managed to blend all of these instruments together in a way where the final mix sounded so full and where you could not really pick out any one instrument. This mixing technique would be used by many producers to come, and I would say is ultimately what allowed the shoegaze genre to form, which also utilizes these massive layering techniques. This compilation made me finally realize why music from this era is just so appealing and so comforting. And that last disc of Christmas music was a pleasant surprise. It really is that time again!
Jan 24, 2021
I struggle to see the merit in compilations being included as well. I've heard a handful of great compilation albums in my time, but it almost feels like a cheat code in some respects.
kevtho