PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Aug 3, 2016 (updated Aug 8, 2016)
Throughout the first half of the album, it had been unclear for me whether PJ Harvey had directed any meaningful critique towards England. PJ Harvey is very straightforward in terms of her lyrics, but the purpose of the lyrics stood fuzzy and foggy. In other words I did not get what was being sung.

As the album reaches, what I would say is the biggest highlight of the record, All And Everyone, the album takes a turn towards a much deeper melodic approach. PJ Harvey conveys her message much clearer in these tracks, rendering the first couple of songs much more purposeful.

PJ Harvey does not stray away from the sudden emotional path taken in All And Everyone. She asserts herself more visibly as a really powerful voice in the next few songs. Strong vocals + some really stellar sampling from Said El Kurdi in "England", which caught me completely off guard in the best way imaginable. In this song she clears out any confusion, that could have surfaced before. She is clear in her message, even if it is quite a controversial one.

As far as the instrumentation goes, it is quite frankly flawless. From the first few songs that rest at higher tones, as well as the really dark and depressive sounding songs. Everything supports PJ Harvey as she roars through every single song with her vibrant and versatile voice.

Favorite tracks: All And Everyone, England, In The Dark Places.
Comments