Radiohead - In Rainbows
Aug 7, 2018
Since I'm being teased about my dislike for In Rainbows, I thought it'd be a great time to finally tackle this beast of burden. But I feel I must preface, I don't dislike Radiohead, but I don't think they're anything special either. Also, I think this album has a recieved a lot of unworthy praise due to its marketing, the choice to pay any amount for its ownership, a new business model for albums at the time, was a huge success. So what is In Rainbows then? It's a slew of unfinished ideas. Nothing here is new or interesting for me. Sure, it was fun the first time, then cracks started to show. They did well with Kid A and Amnesiac. To quote Radiohead themselves: "Used to be alright, what happened?". They returned to what didn't make them interesting, their arena rock of the past, and it's boring. The only track here that remotely interests me is Jigsaw Falling Into Place. For the most part, the lyrics are basic and cliche, the instruments are played as an amateur would, simply and repetitively, and everything feels like a b-side. In essence, In Rainbows is trivial comfort food.
Aug 7, 2018
Do Aquarium next.
Oct 5, 2018
In Rainbows is extremely dull to me compared to A Moon Shaped Pool. I have tried to like In Rainbows but it never clicks with me, it just sits there. A Moon Shaped Pool on the other hand was a bit boring to me at first but then once I listened to a bit of it recently again, it became my favorite album from them.
Oct 6, 2018
I can't say A Moon Shaped Pool is my favorite but it's definitely better than a majority of their works for me.
Oct 7, 2018
Yeah.
Oct 18, 2018
I don't have a problem with differing opinions, but this review is probably the biggest bullshit I've read in a while...especially because you give probs to an overrated album like Amnesiac, which is lowkey a glorified b-sides tape for the most part...

Oct 19, 2018
You obviously seem to have a problem with differing opinions. I could care less about your point of view on Amnesiac.
Oct 19, 2018
No, I don't...I'm totally fine with that if the reasoning is good...and your reasoning is debunkable af

But hey, you said it right: I also could care less about that since a response would end in the empty space...
Oct 19, 2018
What is there to debunk? My reasoning "isn't good" because you disagree with me. Otherwise, you would actually have something worthwhile for me to consider.
Oct 19, 2018
Well...that "arena rock"-statement hasn't much to do with disagreeing; that's just not true at all...you act like there was a point in the bands career where they focused really intentionally on creating very arena-aligned music...c'mon, son...

Calling In Rainbows "a slew of unfinished ideas" is lowkey hypocritical if I consider your take on Amnesiac...

"Basic, clichéd lyrics"...I mean, if you live in a world where the music landscape only consists of hipster artists, sure...(tbc)
Oct 19, 2018
And what's so basic about Thom's lyrics...why isn't it well written...what do you consider as "well written lyrics" (I'm interested ngl)

And "amateurish play of instruments" doesn't make the compositions bad...and there's a lot of intricacy in their play and compositions if you go in detail...
Oct 19, 2018
"creating very arena-aligned music" You have no idea what arena rock means. They dropped what made them interesting for a more commercial sound.
"what's so basic about Thom's Lyrics" Jesus Chirst, just pull up the lyrics to the first song on the album.
"amateurish play of instruments doesn't make the compositions bad". Yes it does, this album is extremely boring.
They did something interesting with Amnesiac, it's by far the most adventurous they've ever been.
Oct 19, 2018
Don't agitate the Radiohead fans buddy.
Oct 19, 2018
LOOOL, ok I'm out...my statement about arena rock wasn't even false since this type of music was designed for large audiences (like concerts in arenas lmao)...RH definitely went the more commercial route; makes sense if I consider their intentions and the paying method (*sarcasm*)...a more accessible sound isn't a negative thing when the music itself is great..."amateurish play=compositions bad"; act like great minimalistic compositions never existed which are quite easy to pull of

Do ya thing
Oct 20, 2018
Since when did amateurish play of instruments mean minimal compositions? Despite being released online, it has characteristics of arena rock (radio-friendly soft rock) and would have been perfect for an arena setting. But in your mind music has to be intentionally made for an arena to be arena rock.
Oct 20, 2018
Great, minimalistic compositions where just an example...there are quite simple compositions which are great, but easy to pull off...you even have an example on In Rainbows with Videotape...

And having arena rock characteristics is different from actually being "arena rock"...I definitely do not think that RH would give a great experience in a really big concert setting (like e.g. Oasis or something else) since the music is very intimate and modest in comparison
Oct 20, 2018
Arena rock is an encompassing characterization, I think it's safe to say. Not sure why you care about the semantics so much. As for minimal compositions, that's a broad range and what's good to you is going to be different from what's good to me.
Oct 23, 2018
This is just wrong. I don’t care how boring you think this album is, this review is just unnecessarily harsh for no reason
Oct 23, 2018
Exactly the responses I'd expect from you two.
Nov 21, 2018
Look man, I'm all about different opinions, but I don't think people are praising this album largely due to the way it is promoted. Despite In Rainbows being my favorite album of all time, I don't think the pay-what-you-want method was as successful as people paint it out to be. In fact, it is only doable for huge bands like Radiohead but holds no practical value for smaller bands that can't afford giving their music away for free.
Nov 21, 2018
In Rainbows might not be Radiohead at their most innovative or technically impressive, but I would actually say that the songs are quite well-finished, especially compared to Amnesiac, which, in the conversation of completeness, is more like the beat-tape of a producer. If you're looking for something "interesting" or odd like The Residents, In Rainbows is the wrong album to look at because it is essentially different in ethos. In Rainbows focus more on the emotional prowess rather than....
Nov 21, 2018
... sonic intricacies, but to me it does a great job of manipulating its sounds and technicalities within its borders. There are great technical moments on this album that especially shines on tracks such as Weird Fishes (the water-like arpeggio guitar playing) and Videotape (syncopation or whatever you call the drums). The accessibility of this album doesn't diminish what it achieved technically, but rather brings the emotions embodied more immediate and hard-hitting. In some sense this is a...
Nov 21, 2018
... dream pop album that just happened to be made by the same band that made alternative rock back in the 90s. I'm trying hard to understand your comparison for this album to arena rock and b-sides, because I don't think that the stand-out melodic elements and alternative rock roots actually qualifies the album as such. In ethos, In Rainbows is such a personal album, not something that has the sonic power or message to fill an arena. But hey, maybe we're both seeing something the other did not.
EMR