Run the Jewels - RTJ4
Jun 3, 2020 (updated Sep 13, 2020)
Well fuck. I expected this album to be good but not nearly this good. This is one of the best comeback album's I've ever heard- granted it's only been 3 and a half years since RTJ3 but still this is impressive as hell. RTJ4 is the best Run the Jewels album to date. This is one of those albums that I listen to and once finished I immediately sit back in my seat and think to myself "Did I really just listen to that?" The production is top notch here and the best on any RTJ album, very rarely faltering or reaching a point of stagnation. Every beat in the vein of classic Run the Jewels style except on this album the production actually seems somewhat industrial in areas like pitched down hook vocals on goonies vs. E.T. or the heavy distortion accompanying these blaring saxophones on the closer to this thing. The industrial production was there on older RTJ albums but it's here 10 fold. Mike and El-P also still have the lyrical capabilities they showcased on previous RTJ projects and in their solo work with amazing flows, incredibly engaging storytelling, and killer punchlines and rhyme schemes. Mike and El-P also have their signature chemistry they had on the other 3 RTJ projects. The features all do their things too, especially Greg Nice on the hook of ooh la la and 2 Chainz on out of sight. The concept of this record is also something I didn't even catch onto the first time listening and there's so much for me to digest in the future with this project. Go check this one out now.

TRACK SCORES:

BAD: 0
AWFUL: 0
HOT GARBAGE: 0
SUCK MY DICK: 0

FAV TRACKS: ooh la la (feat. Greg Nice, DJ Premier), out of sight (feat, 2 Chainz) holy calamafuck, goonies vs. E.T., walking in the snow, JU$T (feat. Pharrell Williams, Zack de la Rocha), never look back, the ground below, pulling the pin (feat. Pharrell Williams, Zack de la Rocha), a few words for the firing squad (radiation)

LEAST FAV TRACKS: the ground below