Dorian Electra - Flamboyant
Oct 10, 2020 (updated Oct 15, 2020)
Listened to this one because all of the singles for Dorian’s next record have been absolute bangers but this record just feels pretty underwhelming compared to his most recent singles. When this record is good, it’s great. Tracks like Career Boy and Man To Man are super catchy while simultaneously sound super futuristic. They take the catchy and forward-thinking pop formula that producers like Sophie and Dylan Brady are using and creates some super fun pop tracks with super ahead of the time production. When used right, Dorian’s autotuned, almost robotic vocals are pretty great and add a lot of character to the songs too. I also do appreciate the deconstruction of gender norms in the lyrics here. The best moments here have super sticky hooks, memorable verses, innovative vocals, a super intoxicating vibe, and some amazing and wildly original production. Tracks like Emasculate and Man To Man are super high highs for a 6/10 album to have.

However, there is a lot of filler here. Tracks like Mr. To You and Guyliner just kinda sound like tracks in this bubblegum-electropop-bass movement thing that I’ve heard done before from people like Charli XCX and 100 gecs, who are pioneering and popularizing this movement. Then there are tracks like the title track alongside Daddy Like which just sound like the definition of filler. Man To Man is a decent song but I feel like it’s pretty underdeveloped. Adam & Steve actually has a pretty catchy hook but the verses are kinda forgettable plus the production isn’t as solid as it usually is across the project on this track. This thing also isn’t as catchy as a lot of the albums in this style that I’ve heard before are. An album like Charli is instantaneously catchy meanwhile a lot of tracks here are relatively low impact and kinda forgettable. So, while the highs here are ridiculously high, there is too much filler for me to say I truly love it. Luckily, Dorian’s next record is shaping up to be a much better record.

FAV TRACKS: Career Boy, Emasculate, Man To Man, Live By The Sword