Conway the Machine - From King To A GOD
Sep 11, 2020
Conway the Machine drops his long awaited solo studio album to follow up his Everything is Food series which ended last year. Compared to the other Griselda members, what edge does Conway really have? Westside Gunn has the most unique flows of any Griselda member, and an incredible recognizable voice paired with the best production of any Griselda member. Benny the Butcher has the hardest bars and best storytelling of any of the members paired with an amazingly braggadocious delivery.
So, what does Conway really bring to the table? Well to me, he's sort of a mix of both. He has a unique delivery like Westside Gunn with his super-recognizable slurred voice, the storytelling and bars of Benny, and the knack for botching hooks that every Griselda member seems to have.
Conway's bars here remain hard as ever, his aggressive flow that basically taunts people on the fact that half of his face is impaired and he still raps better than most rappers is here, his storytelling and imagery is super vivid and evocative: Conway is a great rapper. The production is generally good here with the typical dark and grimy sound you would expect to hear from Griselda too, although there are also some instrumentals here that actually sound relatively classy and much more upbeat than usual Griselda beats like Nothin Less or Everything But Jesus.
However as I mentioned before Conway has a tendentious to botch hooks. Front Lines, Seen Everything But Jesus, Lemon; All would have been pretty great tracks if they had better hooks, but instead the hooks on them are atrocious and just make them overall pretty meh tracks. The only track here I would say I straight up dislike though is Forever Droppin Tears which is 8 minutes and it just gets uninteresting after 4, the rest of the track just feels like a lot of nothing. Conway tried to make his We Major but fails.
With that being said though, is From King To A GOD my favorite Griselda project released within the past year? No. Is it even my favorite Conway project? No. However it's still a pretty good project even if it didn't meet expectations.

FAV TRACKS: Fear Of God (feat. DeJ Loaf), Juvenile Hell (feat. Flee Lord, Havoc, Lloyd Banks), Anza (feat. Armani Caesar), Spurs 3 (feat. Benny the Butcher, Westside Gunn), Jesus Khrysis, Nothin Less

LEAST FAV TRACKS: Forever Droppin Tears (feat. El Camino)
Comments