Tkay Maidza - Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 2
Aug 7, 2020
Awake was one of the best songs and one of the hardest hitting bangers of last year, plus the other singles from this album were pretty great too, so I didn't have anything to expect from this record but greatness. And that's what I got. This record is filled with a wide array of sounds. There are some great melodic cuts here like My Flowers and You Sad that are these pretty sweet and smooth cuts that have a nice and colorful pop aesthetic going for them. Tkay's singing here is great and sounds kinda like Kali Uchis. For some reason the instrumental on My Flowers also reminded me of the more melodic tracks on Denzel Curry's TA1300. However these smooth and somewhat quiet pop track are paired right next to some insane hyper bangers. You'd be hardpressed to find tracks that hit as hard as Awake and Grasshopper, these are some insane experimental over the top hard hitting bangers with some great lyrical substance. Which leads me to the lyrics, they're generally great across this record with Tkay dropping some great bars here and there alongside some braggadocio and some sweet lines on some of the more colorful and fun pop jams here. Probably the shakiest moment here is 24k and I don't even dislike that track, I just think she kinda overdid it with the instrumental overtaking her voice at parts. It was a fun gimmick at first but got tiresome over time. But aside from that and a few minute issues here and there this record is amazing. The array of sounds here is kinda mindblowing and shows that Tkay is truly a wildcard when it comes to the music she makes. She's mastered all these sounds so early into her career and I'm really excited to see what the future holds for Tkay. But for now, this is one of the best records so far this year.

FAV TRACKS: My Flowers, Shook, Awake (feat. JPEGMAFIA), Grasshopper, You Sad, PB Jam, Don't Call Again (feat. Kari Faux)

LEAST FAV TRACKS: 24k