AOTY 2020
Adrianne Lenker - songs
Oct 23, 2020
Adrianne Lenker paints a beautiful and serene soundscape on songs. The Big Thief vocalist comes through with a pretty decent and gorgeous album. Adrianne’s singing across this record is incredibly hypnotic. Her beautiful and incredibly potent melodies put me in a trance with how beautiful and moving they are. The instrumentals here are incredibly minimalist yet never feel super empty or devoid of emotion. They perfectly complement the beautiful vocals and robust songwriting Adrianne Lenker brings to the table. And while I’m talking about the songwriting, while it’s not the best out of any singer-songwriter record I’ve heard this year, it’s still pretty engaging. The incredibly personal angle about this boy that Adrianne is in love with is an incredibly interesting narrative and she tackles it in a better and most interesting way than most artists tackle it. There’s really a lot to love here.

What I don’t love are some of the longer songs. Other than the incredibly beautiful come, no song here has any right to be over 4 minutes. Tracks like my angel and not a lot, just forever just get super boring by the end. Adrianne just feels like she’s dragging the songs out by that point. Her vocals become repetitive and the magic of some of the shorter songs is gone. There are also some songs that are just way too short to leave an impression on me. This record is also kinda generic for a singer-songwriter/folk album, not innovating the genre all that much and I don’t see myself coming back to this a couple of months down the line. Still, these faults don’t change the fact that the bulk of songs is some of the most entrancing and serene music I’ve heard that released in the past couple of months. It’s a record that perfectly paints the picture of a nice summer night outside a wooden cabin with the moon shining on you as you take in the scent of the foggy breeze. It isn’t one of my favorite albums of the year, though it is surely a highpoint for typical singer-songwriter/folk music.

FAV TRACKS: two reverse, anything, forwards beckon rebound, heavy focus, come, dragon eyes

LEAST FAV TRACK: my angel
Oct 24, 2020
Edit Edit Edit!!! Songs are too long!!
JacksonLerner