Omar Apollo - Apolonio
6d ago (updated 4d ago)
Frank Peninsula

I’m convinced Omar Apollo doesn’t have a single original bone in his body. I first discovered Omar Apollo off of some singles he dropped earlier this year, thought they were generic and pretty mediocre, and then was surprised to see him on Joji’s Nectar. In my opinion, he had the second-worst feature on the entire album, only behind Lil Yachty. His verse was super reminiscent of Frank Ocean when rapping so going into this project I didn’t have that high of hopes and yeah… this is about what I expected.

Listen, Omar Apollo isn’t necessarily the worst vocalist ever, nor is this production the worst of this year. In fact, most, if not all, of these songs are pretty listenable. The main problem here is that there is no originality. Omar Apollo, both vocally and production-wise, just sounds like a shameless clone of Frank Ocean, Smino, or any of the millions of R&B singers who are trying to copy what artists like them are doing. Omar Apollo just happened to make it big. The 1 thing I can give this album in comparison to something like the Dominic Fike album which suffered from a lot of the same problems this album is suffering from, I can at least say that there were some songs that I enjoyed all the way through. With the Dominic Fike album, it was filled with songs that seemed like they were a stroke maybe-kinda something good, but then they faded out before I could say their full potential was used. With this album, there are at least some tunes that felt realized. Still, Omar Apollo puts his worst foot forward and makes an album so passive, so made to be put in the background, one that so painfully wears its influences on its sleeve that it’s probably gonna go down as the years most forgettable album. This just feels like an album mostly comprised of half-hearted throwaways and just felt like a complete waste of time after listening to it.

FAV TRACKS: Hey Boy, Useless

LEAST FAV TRACK: Dos Una Nueve (219)
i will not stand for the Lil Yachty slander