You know 2020 is truly the end times when Miley Cyrus puts out an actually decent album.

Let me preface this review by saying everything Miley Cyrus has put out prior to this record has been pretty lackluster to my ears. Ever since her early days of making pop country and starring in Hannah Montana, I’ve always seen her musical output as being pretty average or mediocre. With that being said, I think she really took an insane nosedive in quality and fell off the fucking deep end with her record ‘Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz.’ At its worst it was annoying and cringy, its best was obnoxiously boring. Her albums ‘Younger Now’ and ‘SHE IS COMING’ were improvements in the same way that drinking a cup of piss is an improvement over drinking a gallon of diarrhea. They were both pretty bad records, just slightly better than ‘Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz.’ Though I wouldn’t want to listen to either of them any day of the week.

Now, why am I saying all of this? Well… I think Plastic Hearts is not only
a great improvement over Miley’s past 3 records but also her best album yet.

What I will start by saying is, despite me enjoying this, the album is incredibly inconsistent. The highs here are extremely high, but there are still quite a few lows. I guess I’ll get the positives out of the way first: Miley seems to be switching her sound up quite a bit here. She moves further away from her pop-country sound and towards the 80s synthpop/disco revivalism that has been prevalent in the mainstream since Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia. While a tad bit generic, Miley actually makes some pretty fun songs in this style. Even if I think Miley’s vocals can be a bit much at times, I’d be lying if I said a track like the title track or ‘Prisoner’ aren’t fun disco-inspired jams. ‘Midnight Sky’ is probably my favorite track here. The sparkling arpeggios, Miley’s catchy and ferocious performance, the ready-for-the-floor dance beat; they all combine to make a really great track.

These 80s throwbacks were the best tracks on the album. The only two that appear in my favorite tracks and don’t have that 80s throwback sound are the two covers that close the record out which, the songs that Miley is covering are already great as they are, of course covers of them would be pretty good, but I digress. What I’m trying to say here is that I actually really loved when Miley experimented with the 80s sound she does experiment with here. However, I would be lying if I said this record was Miley Cyrus born anew.

There are plenty of weak tracks throughout this album. ‘Bad Karma’ and ‘Angels Like You’ are just the same boring country-pop that Miley has subjected us to on prior albums and it goes over just as well as it did on those albums. ‘Golden G String’ has a pretty obnoxious synth line and is kinda boring when compared to the other 80s throwbacks here. ‘Never Be Me’ is a bit boring and really forgettable aside from its decent hook. ‘High’ just sounds like a Sam Smith song and who the fuck gave Billy Idol autotune on ‘Night Crawling?’ Also, Miley doesn’t switch her lyrical style up that much so you are bound to find some cringy lines here and there.

So yes, the record has its low points. However, the highs on this thing are by far the best material Miley Cyrus has made and the lows on here aren’t nearly as low as the lows on her previous material were. Sure, this thing album isn’t mindblowing nor a completely new sound that Miley is creating here. In fact, it’s a bit generic at a lot of points, even on some of my favorite tracks; but this album, at its best, is still incredibly fun and that’s really all I wanted out of it. All I’m hoping for in the future is for Miley Cyrus to continue on this incline of quality, even if it’s not with this specific sound.

FAV TRACKS: Plastic Hearts, Prisoner, Gimme What I Want, Midnight Sky, Hate Me, Edge of Midnight, Heart of Glass, Zombie

LEAST FAV TRACK: High