Arca - KicK iii
Dec 1, 2021
TL;DR- I’m making an aoty version of the grammys that’s user voted. More information on how to vote down below.

Everyone on this site should know the Grammys. Even if you hate them and refuse to watch them, you know of their existence. I thought it would be pretty cool to do something similar based on what this website enjoys- that’s why I made the AOTY Grammys (The Album Of The Year Awards as I’m calling it). Nominees were picked based on a myriad of things, though the two most popular being user score and popularity on this site.

Nominees were finalized this most recent past Friday (which, sadly, means no Arca). However, if I do this in future years, I want to do it from December to December, so Arca, alongside any other December releases, WILL be eligible for nomination next year. I also apologize for the lack of categories besides “Best (insert genre)”, I rushed to get this out a little bit, though, in future years, it should be more orderly and have a lot more to vote for. Winners will be announced around the end of the year. I'll probably announce them either in a list or review- not sure yet but I'll keep you guys updated.

The link to vote is right here:

In case you don’t want to have to scroll through the entire thing, the individual genres that have categories dedicated to themselves are:

Hip-Hop
Jazz
Country
Neo-Psychedelia
Shoegaze

All of those have individual categories for albums, each ranging from 5-8 nominees per, and the first five genres also have single categories. There is also a multitude of other categories such as Best Live Album, Best #1 Album, and the prestigious AOTY/SOTY Award. Wanna skip a category that you’re not interested in or aren’t very knowledgeable on? Go ahead and just not vote for that category, none of the selections are required for you to submit the form.

Again, the link to vote is right here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ffOThF61qefTNUJ7mMAKZj4kqG9vGptaTw8hh3YNm1Q/

Oh yeah and this Arca album? It’s pretty good, probably my favorite Kick album yet.

Dec 1, 2021
This is a fantastic idea! The Grammys remain one of the most frustrating organisations within the music industry today, so community driven stuff like this is awesome to be a part of ๐Ÿ˜Š.
Dec 1, 2021
Can't wait for the ceremony!
Based!
Dec 1, 2021
Great idea because the aoty community as a whole has incredible taste, but personally r&b could've used some better selections and I wouldn't classify Donda as trap. But I love the idea man!
Dec 1, 2021
Grest idea, loved voting!
Voted ! Great idea Chode
Dec 1, 2021
It was so much fun voting, you could definitely make this a yearly thing.
Dec 1, 2021
love this idea so much. thank you for making this!
Dec 1, 2021
This is awesome! Thanks for doing this!
very cool!
Dec 1, 2021
great idea! but i think neo-psych should just be psych, and shoegaze should just go under the rock category since it's too specific lol
Dec 1, 2021
^^ yeah those were too micro-genre-y

but overall, great idea
Dec 1, 2021
also why is Taylor Swift on here, she didn't even release anything lol

I CALL PANDERING TO THE SWIFTIES
Dec 1, 2021
^^ didn't u hear she released two albums this year?
Dec 1, 2021
I love this! This is a great idea
this is so coool!!
Dec 1, 2021
It’s a good idea but it’s way too anglo-centered. Specially because it could be so easy to add a latin music that could cover all Latino music (reggaetón, trap, pop and even rock/alternative, but a separate category for that too would be better).
Thanks for nominating me
Great initiative!
THANKS FOR THE NOMINATION THIS REALLY COOL IMMA GO VOTE NOW
Dec 1, 2021
This is a fantastic idea!!!
Dec 1, 2021
that's a cool idea, but what is time window for voting. i would catch up on some nominees i haven't listened to yet maybe.
Dec 1, 2021
Thanks for making that idea real! I always wanted that type of event in this website and i'm really thankfull! TYYYY <3
Dec 1, 2021
Awesome idea! Weird to me that Faye Webster is classified as country, but that’s the closest thing I can think of to something that feels off. Well done cheers!
i voted ๐Ÿ™‹‍โ™€๏ธ
Love it!
Dec 1, 2021
yo this is really cool! just voted
Dec 2, 2021
@gaalmethon I haven’t decided a concrete date that voting will end on however it’ll probably be between Christmas and dec 30th.
Dec 2, 2021
@elextranodpl In retrospect, I do agree that I should have included more sections that are more representative of other cultures. Like I said in the review, I was kinda rushing to get this out and forgot some stuff but if I do this again next year then I’ll for sure include a lot more categories like the ones you suggested
Chode4thecommunity2021
Dec 2, 2021
No worries my man ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ it’s still a great idea.

If you need help with the Hispanic releases, please consider me a pretty good reference for that :)
Cool idea, But I wish Spellling was on AOTY category
Dec 3, 2021
This is a great idea. One suggestion though: maybe put the nominating process up to a small committee? That way you could have more diverse perspectives and people with a lot of knowledge about a particular genre could ensure that the nominees for that genre are truly representative of the best music of that style that came out that year (I mention this last part because I noticed the country nominations were a bit lacking). Great work overall though!
Dec 3, 2021
voted!!!!! chode i fucking love you for this, I always wanted a AOTY Awards..
Dec 3, 2021
You rock bro, the AOTY community has way better taste than the idiots at the Grammys, like who watches the Grammys. Voted and can’t wait to see the awards.
P.S how will we see the results?
Voted! Great idea.
Dec 3, 2021
i voted. this sounds really cool, i've always wanted this kind of thing.
Dec 4, 2021
When will the winners be anounced
Dec 4, 2021
Great idea!! I just voted :)
Dec 5, 2021
Just voted, glad I could contribute SOMETHING to this site in the last six months.
Dec 5, 2021
@JShu I'm gonna publish a list with the winners

@Milosummers Haven't decided on a specific date to announce the winners but sometime between Christmas and New Years

@twotoomanybirds Yea I probably will do something like that next year
ChhHHhododooOEEOEO
Dec 6, 2021
Ok thanks, great idea btw
Fantastic idea!!
Dec 6, 2021
Amazing initiative, loved this! Done voting. Hopefully this can become a yearly thing. :) My two cents on what could be done to improve this is to include separate Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year categories - Record being an award presented to the artist(s) and producer(s) of a single/track, while Song being presented to the songwriters of a single/track. I reckon it might be tricky to make a judgement call on whether to consider a particular song for either one of the two or both but it'd be interesting to make that distinction as some songs stand out more lyrically than sonically. Additionally, I think Latin and World (Global) music representation is missing and hopefully categories like Latin Pop/Urban Album Of The Year, Latin Alternative/Folk/Rock Album Of The Year and Global Music Album Of The Year can be added for next year's ceremony.
Dec 7, 2021
It was a great idea. I have cast my vote. I have a few comments
- I think it's great if you add a description for some categories. Most of them are quite explanatory. However, I was not sure about some, such as the #1 Top Album (i.e. what are the criteria?)
- I also think some albums were not correctly added to their corresponding categories. For example, the Country category contains too many Folk/Alternative. I know most of the folks here don't listen to Country (Country albums tend to have the least traction). But it would be good to have a small committee per genre so that the nominees are more accurate.
Dec 8, 2021
Love this idea, thank you!
Dec 18, 2021
Great idea!!! I love the brazilian albums that you included in some categories, and now I'm excited for the results.
Dec 30, 2021
do you know when it will close?

AOTY January Playlist