Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Oct 26, 2018
This is... AOTY? How? The first half of the album is a little disparate, the album doesn't really come into quality fruition until Less Sex, and even there the peak is mediocre at best. Maybe I'm too biased against the genre, but this is hardly close to the quality of Denzel Curry, Idles or KSG...

I'll have to come back to this, but as of 10/26/2018 => 28
Oct 26, 2018
I guess it can be too spooky for some people
Oct 27, 2018
You should know yourself, and whether you don't really like the style of the music
And if thats the case, then why rate it? when you clearly don't understand it.
Oct 27, 2018
I kinda agree with Aaron. Go through the discog and decide if it’s something you even want to review it. Slapping a bad score on something you don’t get is lazy
Oct 28, 2018
Anybody and everybody should be able to rate any album they like. What you guys have said kind of comes of as saying "dont rate the album if you don't like it". If people did that it would just inflate the album's score above what it actually should be.
Oct 28, 2018
There's a big difference between not liking an album and not understanding an album
I don't get this album, but I can see from others that there is something here, so I'm not rating it
In the same way I won't rate Deathgrips or Car Seat Headrest

Does it make sense to rate a beloved metal album 1/100 when you know you don't get/enjoy metal?
Chuck says himself " maybe i'm too biased against the genre" so this is a great time to ask, why rate it at all then?
Oct 28, 2018
I don't think that point is actually factual though. I don't think there is such a thing as "understanding" an album beyond listening to the lyrics and listening to the sounds. So this person listened to an album, found they had very little enjoyment from it and rated it accodingly, its that simple. I hate metal because I think it sounds bad and I would happily rate an album 1/100 if it sounded like what makes me hate it in the first place.
Oct 29, 2018
Music taste is developed during your adolescence to young adulthood (12-22)
After that, you hardly deviate from the music you were exposed to at that time hence your "music taste"
Furthermore if you only listened to pop music and what was playing on the radio, your mind wont know how to process
Niche genres such as metal, hence you wont be able to UNDERSTAND the music
If you listened to lots of different music during your 12-22's its easier for your mind to understand new types of music.
Oct 29, 2018
So maybe you're ignorant to the fact, everyone has a specific music taste.
And if metal isn't part of your music taste, you won't fucking like it even if it is objectively good.

"if we had relatively narrow tastes in our developing years, this is more difficult to do because we lack the appropriate schemas, or templates, with which to process and ultimately to *understand* new musical forms."
but whatevs ^^ I was just asking the question of why rate, when you dont find appeal in the genre.
Oct 29, 2018
I appreciate the discussion here so let me provide some context: Lets take an example, someone follows me because they enjoy the music I also do and agree with my ratings. They see this as a highly rated album by the community, but I score it differently than everyone else, its would be helpful to my followers that they could justifiably not agree with the community or assume that they won't enjoy this the way others do.
Oct 29, 2018
So, even though my rating may be a result of a differential musical listening past, or a different palette as others that really appreciate it, I don't enjoy it. People who find a similar ear to my own could find my review helpful in choosing how they spend their limited valuable listening time. And, to be transparent, I acknowledge that my preference for the genre could influence my rating, that self-awareness should be valued, not degraded.
Oct 29, 2018
Lastly, I enjoy pushing my preferences and trying new genres and artists that despite what I listened at ages 12-22 and as a result have come to appreciate a much wider variety of music. And when I don't agree I say why and try to acknowledge my biases (we all are biased, despite the fact no one ever admits it). So despite the fact I don't enjoy it, I know I tried, and I can revisit to see if I can appreciate it later and compare to my initial reactions.
Oct 29, 2018
Ahh cool, I get that. Coming from a similar thought as you, as its not an album that immediately moves me.
But something I want to try and listen to more, since it already means so much to others!
Think it serves as an album outside of my/our listening range that's evidently worth going through. cheers
Oct 30, 2018
If someone hasn't actually properly considered an album, just skims through it and rates it badly then yes that is bad. But someone is used to other genres and proerly listens to an album from a new genre and they don't like it, it doesnt make their opinion any less valid. I think your problem stems from the statement "even if it is objectively good" because music taste is subjective by nature.
Oct 30, 2018
I understand what you are saying about people being used to a certain genre making it easier to listen to new albums from that genre but still, music is subjective so anyone should be able to rate it however they like. Pimp a Butterfly for example, is my favourite album and has also got a massively high user rating on this website, not because only hip-hop fans rated it but because even people who aren't fans still rated it highly. The score reflects all opinions.
Oct 30, 2018
Sigh, hip-hop is the zeitgeist of sound right now, its as popular as pop music.
So of course more people are going to have it within their listening range and be able to have an informed opinion on it.

Bach is objectively a better musician than Joji. Though in the 21st century more people are likely to subjectively
like Joji because his music was popular during the time they are forming their musical taste.

Oct 30, 2018
Put on a bach record then a joji record right now, and see which you prefer more.
You most likely wont like the Bach record as much because you aren't used to listening to that form of music
Your brain hasn't learnt how to process his classical style of music, therefore you lack an understanding of his genre and dont enjoy it
Objectively, the Bach record is better though? You do see that right?
new Curry SUCKS ASS dude lmao
Oct 31, 2018
First, thanks Kiran, valid points.
Second, Aaron, Joji, that's the example you go with? And Bach is one of the greatest composers of all time, I'd pick it every time
Third, Macro, gtfo, Denzel's album is top 10 of year for me, spin it again if it hasn't hit you yet, its great
Oct 31, 2018
That point is cyclical, Hip-hop as become popular music BECAUSE people think it is good so to say "of course people will rate Hip-Hop high because its popular" doesn't make sense. Also, its popularity means Hip-Hop albums will probably get a lot of ratings but not necessarily good ratings e.g. ye by Kanye West got 1000 reviews but only got 73.
Oct 31, 2018
Bach may be a better musician in the technical sense but technical ability in music does not necessarily correlate with peoples' enjoyment of that music. Importantly for this conversation though, Bach is NOT objectively a better ARTIST than Joji. If I listened to both records many times and ended up giving the Bach record a 0 and the Joji record an 100, I am not wrong. I am not required to give Bach the higher rating just because he is technically better because once again, music is subjective.
Oct 31, 2018
Ya Kiran, I get the argument, but we can all agree... Bach is better...
Nov 1, 2018
Not sure tbh haven't heard much of either lol
Nov 5, 2018
Dude, you got the words form my mounth!
Jan 19, 2019
I argee. I love the post-rock/Noise rock genre, but I feel like this album is so overrated.
Scuba