YBN Cordae - The Lost Boy
Jul 27, 2019
I know many people are here because of his spot on the XXL Freshman List, but my introduction to Cordae was through his feature on Logic’s last dogsqueeze of an album. My thoughts on him after hearing it were that he was pretty much just Logic if Logic wasn’t a whiny bitch who constantly rapped fast just to show people he could do it. And now I’ve realized that taking away those things about Logic just leaves you with an average rapper, which is a bit harsh for Cordae.

The Lost Boy, as a debut album, is pretty good. It sets up his sound fairly well and backs up what people have said about him being a great lyricist. He also enlists some pretty big names who all have great appearances, which shows that Cordae has a future with getting people to hear and involve themselves in his music. Production is solid, but I feel he could do with a bit more grandeur. There are a few tracks where his flow gets a little repetitive where some amazing production could’ve really saved that, but the instrumentals felt more like demos.

Other than that, The Lost Boy is a great starter project for a rapper that could go on to make some pretty huge waves. Unless he makes the same thing again next album, he can really only go up from here.

Best Tracks: Wintertime, Bad Idea, Thanksgiving, RNP, Broke as Fuck, Nightmares are Real, Family Matters

Worst Track: Way Back Home