Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3
Feb 12, 2019
Run the Jewels is the Dark Knight Trilogy of hip hop. The first was a very refreshing take on a popular trend, the second took that idea to the next level, and the third is still really great has its fair share of fantastic moments, but overall feels a little bloated and loses sight of what made the first two so good. It's much longer than the others and some tracks go on too long without much change. However, RTJ3's biggest problem for me was it's feeling of self importance. Jamie and Mike were clearly more politically inspired this time around, and a lot of the project feels like they were more concerned with this than anything else.

All that said, RTJ3 still has some awesome moments and qualities. El-P's production isn't the best its been, but its still far beyond a large majority of hip hop production and producers out there today. He and Mike still go hard as hell on these beats, spitting some cryptic lyrics about oppression and corruption. Joining them is a larger cast of characters than usual, with everyone from Danny Brown to Kamasi Washington. The features bring great results, and work well in combination with the duo. With all of this, I'd consider RTJ3 better in my eyes as a collection of really good tracks bringing out better musical quality rather than one cohesive, conceptual project.

While RTJ3 might not be my favourite work of Jaimie and Mike and I wasn't all aboard the political message train, it's still a very fine album that I have some really great days with.

Best Tracks: Legend Has It, Call Ticketron, Hey Kids, Panther Like a Panther, Thursday in the Danger Room, A Report to the Shareholders/Kill Your Masters
Comments