Justin Timberlake - FutureSex / LoveSounds
Sep 11, 2019 (updated Jun 23, 2020)
I don’t listen to a lot of throwback music, but this is one that I revisit quite a bit because it not only takes me back to the good times when I was much younger and listening to SexyBack and My Love in the car, but it’s still genuinely good to this day. I don’t just listen for the nostalgia, I listen because it’s awesome.

In terms of vibe, I’d compare FutureSex/LoveSounds to exactly what the title suggests: having sex. The first nine tracks are so groovy and make you wanna get up and move, then the final few cool you down with the power of Justin’s soothing-ass voice. I can confidently say this is one of the few albums that makes me horny. This is achieved through both Timbaland’s production and Justin’s new style of song-writing and delivery.

The album establishes this style right from the first track. It’s minimal both lyrically and sonically, with Justin mostly reserving his vocals for the hook and pre/post choruses, and Timbaland hitting us with minimal drum patterns and occasional synth drops. This remains to be the case throughout the whole record, creating some of the funkiest boner jams that pop music has to offer, (SexyBack, My Love, LoveStoned, What Goes Around, Summer Love, you name it). And despite being throwback music for me, I don’t feel as though it’s aged that much. Because so many people began to ride this wave and bounce off of Justin’s sound and style on this record, I feel like I’m just hearing the origins of a genre when I come back to it.

This is a legitimate contender for pop album of the 2000’s, and I see its influence spanning across the entire music space nowadays. It’s too bad that Justin will most likely never reach these heights again (especially after the cold, wet fart that was Man of the Woods), but I’m content and very happy with what he’s left behind.

The only thing that I will say does turn me off of this album is the constant references to this girl Justin is singing about as “child” and “little girl”. That hasn’t aged particularly well.

Best Tracks: SexyBack, My Love, LoveStoned, What Goes Around, Summer Love